Author Topic: Richard Lainhart RIP  (Read 1713 times)

Anodize DB

• View Profile
Richard Lainhart RIP
« on: December 31, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »
It is with abject shock & sadness that I must announce the death of my close friend & colleague, electronic musician Richard Lainhart, who passed away yesterday of complications following surgery.

Eulogies, of course, are for the living, and cannot bring back what has now passed; nevertheless, I am so stunned at the moment, having only found out this news just a few short hours ago, that I am at something of a loss of words. Richard's pedigree as an electronic musician was unquestionable, and his work to this day was an ever-evolving organism of ideas, textures, approaches, and directions. I can now only feel deeply honored that I was able to release his remaining 80s works, Polychromatic Integers, on my label this past year.

The even sadder irony of this news is that Richard & his work remained largely unsung to the general electronic(a) community, despite his being a tireless performer & supporter of the genre; in fact, Richard was one of the fiercest supporters of my efforts with OTP, having attended virtually every performance regardless of his own personal taste, and lending an hand on untold occasions for various technical & a/v matters where they needed addressing. He was primed to be one of the performers at the mini-fest I've been organizing in Philly for late March, and the fact that he now will not be there fills me with immense & profound regret.

Like most artists, under-recognized or not, what we now have left is the legacy of his work to savor & relish.

It's been a tough year for our genre/community, and not exactly the way I wanted to usher in 2012.

RIP.
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Anodize / tactile visual audio /  www.anodizesound.com / www.otperiphery.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: anodizesound@verizon.net

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
Re: Richard Lainhart RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »
This news deeply saddened me today as well. I had the pleasure of getting to talk with Richard a few times at some of the City Skies festivals in Atlanta and he was a great guy! His music and sets at the festivals were always a treat. He had the unique ability to take modular synthesis and marry it to an alternate controller (the hakin continuum) and move it far beyond the nifty and novel stage and he was the only person I have seen grapple with and perform true classical works of electronic music, most originally composed for the Ondes Martenot and do it emotionally and yet true to the original score like a true master musician, which he was!

My prayers go out to his Wife and family.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 06:37:10 AM »
His work in electronic music "is" unmatched and somewhat unrecognized for for its genius......for his genius and generosity.  What he inspires in me does not end.  Thank you.

Please take a minute and follow this link to Richards website, there is much to discover about the man and his music http://www.otownmedia.com/he/he.html

This video shows what Paul was describing in his post.
Oraison

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:25 PM »
RIP.
Ambient DNA

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »
Very sad.

But his art will remain.

RIP.

STephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 09:43:17 PM »
Yes, very sad. My thoughts are with his wife and loved ones.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »
Thank you, Darren & Paul, for sharing with us your nice memories when working and meeting with Richard.

Sincere condolences for Richard's family and friends. Rest in peace and love, Richard!

Richard Gürtler

1000snakes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »
Sad news.

Condolences to his beloved family and friends.