Author Topic: My review of "Peninsula" CDr by Nunc Stans  (Read 606 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Peninsula" CDr by Nunc Stans
« on: January 04, 2012, 03:29:28 AM »

Nunc Stans "Peninsula" CDr

Nunc Stans' sole creator Anthony Paul Kerby returns with a brand new album released at the beginning of December 2011 on his DataObscura label. Usually heading to more drone based, icy northern sound, "Peninsula" is no exception. The album begins with a 10-minute title overture, "Peninsula", a calmly floating and organically breathing soundscape carefully picturing misty shorelines of the album's cover images where all forgotten memories seem to be still alive. "November Rain" gently drifts above rainy clouds and tranquilly extends the mood set by the opening composition. As much absorbing, but slightly more massive drifts invade the next piece, "We Must Leave", again enriched by relaxing location sounds of shoreline and sculpted with grace and nostalgia. Deeper drones reveal "Fathoms" and calmly carry them into absolutely peaceful and magnificent realms. Few more expressive, but fragile sound effects are added to emphasise the overall mood of this stunningly beautiful and strongly cinematic composition. A masterpiece!!! But this sonic bliss continues on "The Sea Becomes Still", with richly built altering and interplaying moods and movements. Highly evocative ambience, another big one! Monstrous heavy drones with watery sounds and occasional mysterious voice samples submerge "The Clarity Of Darkness" into the great depth of oceanic abyss to venture into the world of eternal darkness. Certainly one of my fave compositions on this album. Heavy drone wizardry by Nunc Stans at its best!!! And it keeps on expanding with "When The Sea Burns", where monumental drifts, spiced by various industrial rumblings on the background, superbly represent the track title. Dramatically culminating and powerfully expressive, 13-plus minutes long sonic opus, at its most droning and adventurous!!! "This Forgotten Place" draws the album to a gracious conclusion with its serenely gliding cinematic soundscapes. "Peninsula" is a skillfully crafted and polished work offering to each attentive listener deliciously rewarding sonic experience. Turn out the lights, turn up the volume and immerse yourself in this beautifully scenic journey!!!

Richard Gürtler (Jan 03, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: My review of "Peninsula" CDr by Nunc Stans
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
Many thanks, Richard !

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans