Author Topic: My review of "See None, Hear None, Speak None" CD by Brian Parnham  (Read 1081 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop

Brian Parnham "See None, Hear None, Speak None" CD

The end of 2011 brought to us many outstanding works in ambient genre, here comes one of them. Released during December on Brian Parnham's own Floating Point Records, this album for sure marks new venture from Brian when smoothly transfering from desert tribal ambient soundscaping into uncharted terrains of rather aggro electro-acoustic blend of trance, tribal and ambient with hints of electro-industrial thrown in and spiced by various field recordings. Since this CD features no less than 15 tracks, there is a quite large variety of textures flowing through "See None, Hear None, Speak None" album. First three tracks show exactly some of the modifications in Brian's artistic direction. Whether it's high-tech trance tribal groove-infused title track "See None, Hear None, Speak None" or hardtechno-industrial adventurous "Head In The Sand" or harsher tribal beats of "Suspended Plumes". But we can explore many other examples displaying this broader spectrum of unified and interacting styles. For example "Race To The Source" with rapidly breathing grooves later sneaking into mid-paced tribals carried by deep washes, bunch of shorter pieces like futuristically gurgling "Half Full" and "Tipping Point" or more eclectic experimental "Half Empty". Submerging by exciting rhythms is provided also by kinetic electro pulsating "While We’re Here" or by hypnotic hyper beats of "Business As Usual". Of course darker atmospheric soundscapes are presented as well. "Eroding Shore" is warmly drifting organic ambience influenced by Steve Roach's track "Infinite Shore" from "The Magnificent Void" album. Deeply immersing "1111", the longest piece on the album or ominously scary, but soon relieving organic "Everyone Gets Their Turn". Cavernously obscure and massive "Earth Mourning" with haunting didgeridoo parts and metallic effects or cyber groove soundscape "Enjoy The Ride" with hidden catchy didgeridoo and voice samples. Or the closing atmospheric journey with slowly fading away heartbeats, perfectly displaying its title, "Last Breath". It's not easy to select my most fave piece among many masterpieces on this album, but maybe I would go for "Earth Mourning". Or "Enjoy The Ride"? Or the title track "See None, Hear None, Speak None"? Or... In any case, Brian Parnham's newest work is highly colorful, luminously creative and precisely sophisticated with top-notch sound quality. Yes, even if wider variety of styles are bridged on this album, its overall feel is still quite complex and it refreshingly glides along the ambient shores. Great work, Brian!!! And an intensely breathtaking ride for me, even without Arizona Stronghold Nachise, but Leffe Brune justified it too...:-)

Richard Gürtler (Jan 07, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: My review of "See None, Hear None, Speak None" CD by Brian Parnham
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
Never heard of it.  Where is this sold???

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »
I ordered it at  www.floatingpointrecords.com/
  Also some good samples of it there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:46:07 PM by hdibrell »
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »
Hi guys,

yes, at this moment it's the best way to order this CD directly from Brian and his Floating Point Records at:

http://www.floatingpointrecords.com/SeeHearSpeakNone.html
http://www.floatingpointrecords.com/Store.html

along with bunch of older Brian's releases.

All the best and keep on enjoying his music. :)

Richard