Author Topic: REVIEW: ALL POINTS NORTH by Manitou  (Read 1718 times)

Bill Binkelman

REVIEW: ALL POINTS NORTH by Manitou
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:45:36 PM »
Excerpt from the review:
MANITOU
All Points North
SloBor Media (2007)

Manitou’s All Points North finished in a three-way tie as Best Ambient Album of the Year on my list over at New Age Reporter, and for good reason. For me, this recording epitomizes what makes ambient music so appealing. While musically the content here is relatively sparse and minimal (comprised of mostly tones, drones, reverberations, and textural synth applications) there is great emotional depth at this CD’s core…The music contains deep-rooted evocations of a gentle melancholy (not over-bearing but palpable), moments of calm resignation, the sensation of memories floating in and out of recognition, both happy and sad remembrances, and a gentle flow of somber warmth, all of which makes All Points North the stunner it is...I can’t overstate how much I appreciate the artist’s decision to record “miniatures,” i.e. only one of the nineteen tracks clock in at over 4:31 and six are under three minutes long. While with some kinds of ambient music this might be interpreted as a lack of thematic development in the music, such is not the case here…these pieces are meant to be mere “glimpses” or better yet, “snapshots”…ambient musical “snapshots” of places and times that, for the artist, have personal meaning.

Read the entire review at either http://www.windandwire.com or the Wind and Wire blog at http://www.windandwire.blogspot.com (where you can leave comments if you wish)

Undershadow

Re: REVIEW: ALL POINTS NORTH by Manitou
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:46 AM »
OK, I’ll see your Manitou review and raise you my Manitou review   ;D

Some choice cuts:

All Points North (AL)
by: Alan Lockett
[...]
A set of evocative locative transmissions from New Ambient Kid on the Detroit Block, Manitou.
[...]
Manitou’s unveiling comes with blurb-refs linking him to the Chicago ‘space rock’ tradition as represented by early-period Kranky (see esp. Windy & Carl and Stars Of The Lid). A quite felicitous association, what with the growing influence of this ‘school’ on recent ambient with its drone’n’space and post-shoegaze tendencies (a lineage from 4AD to MBV, to Main, to Seefeel, and beyond).  Manitou’s is indeed a spacious music, albeit cloaked, enshrouded by a production that shuns hi-lo definition and up-lit articulation in favour of a murky moody middle and all lights dimmed.
[...]
a distinctive voice is clearly present - spectral and dreamlike of aspect, combined in strange consonance with a nuanced take on urban edge, at once up close and ‘romantic’, yet remote, almost alienated, like an estranged lover.
[...]
These big space-tunes hint at something beneath and beyond - epic vignettes that would stop streets seething and make masses surrender to what surrounds.
[...]
[link to soundclips on review page]

Full review here: http://www.dataobscura.com/reviews/artists/manitou/all-points-north-%5Bal%5D.html