Author Topic: My review of "Liveforms" CD by Oxyd  (Read 547 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Liveforms" CD by Oxyd
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:42:03 AM »

Oxyd "Liveforms" CD

It's always a great pleasure to review album "Made in Slovakia" that is somehow related to ambient genre. Yes, of course both protagonists of Oxyd (and Disharmony), Lord Sauron and Ryby, always venture into other styles like industrial, electro, dark ambient or IDM, but why not to give a try to this richly colorful sonic adventure melting broader spectrum of synthetic atmozones, noises and rhythms. Yes, don't expect here any type of droning or slow-motion ambience to glide with. This album, featuring recordings of live performances in 2005, is loaded with ever-changing and cascading high-tech passages and movements, heading from mysteriously obscure terrains through futuristic industrial factories to mesmerizing vast outer spaces. "Liveforms" open the journey with fragile, mechanized effects that are masterfully fused with active hypnotic grooves and carefully backed by euphoric atmospheres. Man, this title track is a huge one, a true masterpiece in my ears!!! The first part of "Dead Souls" moves into by far darker, cinematic territories peppered with femme choirs and manufacture-like sonic outbursts, evoking a purely futuristically sounding environment that almost unrecognized overlaps also into the next composition, "Propulsion". But soon it transfers into much more noisier and heavier, beat-infected industrialized area. All the tension is gone when the second part of "Dead Souls" enters the stage, but that might be just the silence before the storm. Yes, this composition soon turns into shorter, more disturbing percussive part with femme voice samples that interplay with another deeply immersing futuristic zones. "Voices In Me" is the first of the two tracks where Oxyd meets Disharmony. This composition again bridges various styles where synthetic rhythms are united with darker atmospheres, kind of electro-trance-industrial escapade with few monk chants thrown in. Third and fourth parts of "Dead Souls" are colored with various femme choirs, assorted voice samples and all wrapped in misty atmosfears of otherworldly or fantastic machineries. "Emphatic Clone" is the second piece on which Oxyd meets Disharmony and it kicks right away in your face with high-tech crystalline beats and extraterrestrial voices, stunningly energetic!!! Closing two tracks, "Moonlight" and "Aura", quickly dive with cinematic atmospheres enriched by sacred chants into darkly apocalyptic abyssal depths. "Liveforms", released in collaboration with US label Signifier, is vividly sculpted sonic chamaeleon transporting the listener into many spectacularly adventurous and mysterious sites. Yes, it's not a secret here, I am the guy who likes his music much more droning, atmospheric, without larger doses of industrialized or dark ambient toppings. However, "Liveforms" album will undoubtedly please all connoisseurs of dark-electro-industrial as well as all followers of Aliens Production label. Nice work, guys!!!

Richard Gürtler (Feb 19, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)