Author Topic: My review of "Alchemystery" 2xCD by Mathias Grassow  (Read 769 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Alchemystery" 2xCD by Mathias Grassow
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »

Mathias Grassow "Alchemystery" 2xCD

Promising Swedish label Gterma returns with another beauty by German drone virtuoso, Mathias Grassow. While his first Gterma release "Sky" was revised and edited old classic from 2000, "Alchemystery" is new double album composed by Mathias during 2010 and released in February 2012. The first CD, entitled as "Alchemy Suite Part I: Adrift On A Strange Wind" and featuring two compositions, unfolds with absolutely serene, nearly 17 minutes long, piece enriched by beautiful sounds of nature like smoothly flowing water sounds and by alluring interactions of celestial femme and male choirs. "Veiled Auranauts" is not only a truly magnificent composition of sublime tranquility, but also nicely displayed atmosphere through its title. The next long form piece, "Obscured By A Falling Light", clocks over 42 minutes and enters at the beginning into more minimal and meditative realms leaded by bells and gongs. After few minutes the composition sneaks into motionless floating ambience, occasionally spiced with some noisier, factory-like ingredients. Also mysterious voice-like and breathing machine-like sounds enter the show and will ensure the most complete adventurous and immersing experience. This composition produces tremendous sense of unmeasurable tranquility even if traversing through several plateaus, from intense dramas through cinematic vistas to meditative introspections. This masterful composition captures the pure magnificence of sophisticated dronescaping by Mathias Grassow!!! The disc two, entitled "Alchemy Suite Part II: Inside The Inner", features again two tracks and opens with "In A Temple Of Longing", another long form piece reaching 43 and half minutes. As portrayed by its title, this composition moves into massively darker, obscure territories spiced by various sacred choirs, odd voice samples, monumental percussions and all backed by endlessly spiraling drones presenting Mathias Grassow's sound alchemy at the most shadowy and enigmatic in search to explore all mysteries, buried treasures and secrets of Mother Earth. A truly exciting ambient dronescape for those infinite nocturnal journeys that you just never want to end. Another masterpiece holding the signature that is only Mathias Grassow!!! "A Ring Of Standing Stones", clocking to 25 and half minutes, is by far less colossal and more droning, where quieter ambience is fused with fragilely tinkling bells. At times it becomes more intense, but still gracefully drifting into awesome majesty of splendid panoramic vistas. "Alchemystery" is enormously penetrating!!! The drone king is sitting on his throne!!! Last but not least, Mathias Grassow's aural alchemy is accompanied by 16-page booklet featuring gorgeous pictures of nature by Johan Rehn/Gterma.

Richard Gürtler (Feb 19, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:50:16 AM by richardgurtler »