Author Topic: Another prominent figure from my youth dies...Ralph McQuarrie  (Read 1282 times)

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
He was the conceptual artist for the first Star Wars trilogy. Really visionary, IMO.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/04/showbiz/star-wars-death/index.html

Good day for the Grim Reaper...BAD day for us humans.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
Re: Another prominent figure from my youth dies...Ralph McQuarrie
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »
I still have that original 'The StarWars Portfolio' collection of artwork that McQuarrie created, that literally got Star Wars off the ground back in 1976. I've always admired people like McQuarrie, Ron Cobb, Sam Didier, Syd Mead, H.R. Giger, and others, who could literally create magic from a blank canvas, and made our world a little better for showing us worlds that didn't exist until they opened the box just a bit to let us peek inside.

One of my favorite images from 'The Empire Strikes back' era:

I limited myself to just one. RIP, Ralph McQuarrie.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
Re: Another prominent figure from my youth dies...Ralph McQuarrie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
I still have that original 'The StarWars Portfolio' collection of artwork that McQuarrie created, that literally got Star Wars off the ground back in 1976. I've always admired people like McQuarrie, Ron Cobb, Sam Didier, Syd Mead, H.R. Giger, and others, who could literally create magic from a blank canvas, and made our world a little better for showing us worlds that didn't exist until they opened the box just a bit to let us peek inside.

I limited myself to just one. RIP, Ralph McQuarrie.

Well said, Antdude!
May the odds be ever in your favor.