Author Topic: My review of "The Alchemy Of Nature" CDr by Robert Davies  (Read 547 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "The Alchemy Of Nature" CDr by Robert Davies
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »

Robert Davies "The Alchemy Of Nature" CDr

The beginning of 2012 brings the brand new sonic statement of Ithaca, New York, based sound sculptor, painter and designer Robert Davies. Deeper, organic ambience invades the opening piece, "Intrinsic Essence", which is gently fused with various environmental and industrial fragrances and swiftly takes the listener to fascinating and adventurous night excursion across the forest to explore its nocturnal wildlife. "Transpiration" is less droning, but more spiralingly textured piece colored with the forest's singing, bustling and breathing. Another truly exciting experience to meet all the weird and wonderful creatures who live together and create the circle of life. Magnificently tranquil!!! Smoothly and serenely gliding "Of Moth And Snail" evokes spectacular poetic vistas with magical sunlight passing between the trees. It's slightly reminiscent of Rudy Adrian's "Desert Realms", but I am sure it was not intentional, just a kind of lucky coincidence, but a really beautiful one I must say!!! The next piece, "Cryptogamous Permutations", is a monotonously flowing gloomy dronescape attractively enriched by "singing" cicadas. "Quintessence" keeps on the same, mystically painted, trails, but slightly more uplifting and sensitive throughout. "In Thistle Shade" with its shadowy drones maps eerie and rugged forested terrains, and provides an appealing conclusion to this stirring journey. "The Alchemy Of Nature" is a rewarding listening session, and I can highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in experiencing breathtaking sceneries of sparklingly green, virginally wide and mysteriously foggy forest landscapes. And also another significant proof of the steady talent, credibility and consistence of both, Robert Davies and DataObscura!!! And stay tuned for upcoming "Winter Gardens" release, the 4th album by The Winterhouse, Robert's co-work project with Anthony Paul Kerby...

Richard Gürtler (Mar 11, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)