Author Topic: My review of "Subtle Shift" CDr by Within Reason  (Read 602 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Subtle Shift" CDr by Within Reason
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:39:03 AM »

Within Reason "Subtle Shift" CDr

Here comes a big one from ambitious US label Periphery, based in New Jersey, leaded by respected music journalist, publisher and curator Darren Bergstein (now also one half of Groupthink project). The packaging, limited to 50 copies, is the first thing that raised my eyebrows, "Subtle Shift" is housed in a round tin with window displaying the CDr, while the back of the tin features track and release info printed on transparent sticker. Yes, someone might say that this is nothing really groundbreaking, but it looks elegant and attractive! Behind the project name of Within Reason is hidden noone else than Gregory Kyryluk, the sole creator of Alpha Wave Movement and Open Canvas, and also one half of Thought Guild with the late Christopher Cameron. Introducing here his debut work as Within Reason, Greg fires this magnetically mesmerizing performance with title piece, "Subtle Shift", which fuses harmonious ambient soundscapes with pulsing high-tech hypnotics, and is carefully fragranced by natural sounds and whispering voices. Stunning intro, a true medicine for my ears!!! The next one, "Memory Filament", is a subtle, uplifting texture crossed with dub techno elements, freshly beating and soaring above listener's head and reaching perfect symmetry between luminous soundworlds and hypnotizing pulses. "Bodhi" presents colorful and joyous tapestry of moods and sounds with Middle East-fragranced chants thrown in here and there. It will appeal to anyone looking for an adventure in sound sculpting. "Grey Area" strikes immediately with its slowly growing, heartbeating groovy atmosphere. Various high-tech electrifying sounds stunningly enrich this ultimate "Hall Of Fame" composition. Transporting experience awaits!!! But virtuoso performance keeps on going, "Carbon Interface" is as much phenomenal as its predecessor. Highly evocative washes with crystalline razor-sharp cyber effects shift this composition into magnificently uncharted realms. This is a true celebration of sonic synergy between human bravura and state-of-the-art technology!!! Warmly pulsing "Nimbus" is hauntingly colored with pleasant hisses and creates melodic delicacy with magical aura. "Liquid Language" jumps into more active space carefully bridging trance-inducing soundscapes with funky-like rhythms and hints of didgeridoo and voice samples in Czech language...:-) The closing piece, "Deeper Below", immediately starts as its title suggests, but then it glides smoothly through mid-paced cinematic cyber terrains. "Subtle Shift" is sensational, vibrant and immersing hypermodern masterpiece, all-inclusive with audiophile-quality sound, showcasing undisputable creativity and musicality of its creator. I can't help, but wizards like Gregory Kyryluk should live from music and create sonic pearls like this full-time, unfortunately it's not the case. One of the highlights of 2012 so far!!!

Richard Gürtler (Mar 20, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: My review of "Subtle Shift" CDr by Within Reason
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »
Just a little reminder, don't miss Gregory Kyryluk/Alpha Wave Movement today at The Rotunda, Philadelphia, on One Thousand Pulses festival, together with other respected veterans and talented newcomers.

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=4774.0
http://relaxedmachinery.ning.com/profiles/blogs/one-thousand-pulses-philadelphia-saturday-march-24-w-alpha-wave?xg_source=activity

Have a great time!!!

Richard