Author Topic: Should I dump my website?  (Read 1881 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Should I dump my website?
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »
I have had no new members sign up in ages, I had a virus that hosed me for awhile last year and frankly not that busy on the music side. I figured I can just use my reverbnation and bandcamp pages to put any info out (and eventually dump myspace still to come...).

What do you think? Domain is coming due in <60 days.

Mike

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Should I dump my website?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »
Mike - Definitely renew your Domain - otherwise some bot will buy it up to sell it back to you.
If you let it go - all the links established to you over the years will be dead.
When you come back to the music, you'll appreciate it - unless you choose to start again completely fresh.

These days you can probably find a domain registrar for $10-$20/yr.

If you can use Forwarding to point your domain at your RevNation site you could let your website hosting go to save some $.

Cheers!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »
You should be able to renew an existing domain even cheaper than that. Look at one of the el-cheapo hosting companies like godaddy.com.  For a low-traffic site, there's no reason to pay a lot for hosting. For $3-5/year, you might as well hold onto your domain even if you're not updating the site.

As for asking people to sign up for memberships to your site, that's hard enough even with a relatively higher-traffic forum like this one. If I visited the site of an artist I was interested and they wanted me to register in order to learn about the artist, I'd leave and never come back. Even on this forum, you can browse without registering.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:17:07 PM »
It will auto-renew but I need to update my credit card info before that so it is up to date. I have to see how my site is set up sans logging in to see what I can see. I like to keep it semi-secure after that damn virus last year....I had to reload the site with newest version of e107 (well not absolute latest, 1 rev behind = fine w/me) due to re-uploading site and damn thing was hacking it again. Was a fiasco and had to go through Google to check it out eventually to check for trojans and such.

I will probably keep it. Renewal of my site at the hosting service isn't till later this year (up to $10x annually but tons of space/bandwidth hence considering dumping things). I will have to look into domain pointing but would have to re-register elsewhere as host is doing that for me atm.

Mike

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:38:54 AM »
Have to agree with Mike... wow - there is nothing visible on your page.  If I didn't know you a little bit - I would never sign up and just move on.

Make it a one page site and link to your bandcamp, reverbnation, discogs wherever you have your music at.   No need for for any type of CMS / Wordpress / whatever on it if you're not using it.  But definitely keep it.

Post questions here if you get stuck in the transition - there are a lot of web geeks around.

John
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:57:14 AM »
See if you can get into the site now. I changed a setting in preferences.

[edit] Hmm, I have Restrict Website to members only turned off (was before I made change but that didn't make a difference. I may have to go read the docs to see what setting turns off the registration stuff.  I am not sure where it is under e107 to make the site more open other than the stuff I have set to Off which should allow some viewing of the site. Will try to check into it later as time permits.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:25:17 AM »
I can't see any content either.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 06:59:30 AM »
I turned off an option and it didn't display any different so I am stumped for the time being. There is a new version out (up to 1.01 now) that I am debating on updating to which would be a complete re-install from scratch. I will ponder that later. If anyone runs e107 please feel free to shoot me a private message with suggestions.

Mike