Author Topic: My review of "Of Microcosmic Origins" CDr by Groupthink  (Read 479 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Of Microcosmic Origins" CDr by Groupthink
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »

Groupthink "Of Microcosmic Origins" CDr

The driving force behind One Thousand Pulses series of electronic festivals and in 2011 launched Periphery label, Darren Bergstein, is joined here by Edward Yuhas and both of them present their debut work as Groupthink. Packaged in nicely looking round tin and limited to only 50 copies, but the sonics are definitely enough challenging as well. The album unfolds with euphorically flowing ambience entitled "Peeking Over The Horizon". Warmly inviting, nearly cinematic atmozones are later exquisitely peppered by some quite unique, ear-catching sounds. A very strong overture by Groupthink!!! "Region Of Mirrors" is immediately invaded by distinctive sonics, layered in rather eclectic manner, all kinds of nearly odd and weird moods, noises or even voices are featured, but the overall effect is suprisingly very attractive. Call it tribal experimental escapade at its most bizzare!!! Mesmerizingly repeating crystalline pulses of "Bullet Train To Oslo" perfectly evoke a high-speed rail journey filled with joy, curiosity and adventure. Time to explore marvelous vistas of panoramic landscapes, absolutely gorgeous!!! Highly technological feel overlaps also to the next one, "At The Southernmost Tip Of Basking Falls", which is based around various sharply buzzing and erupting effects backed by deeply imaginative tranquil washes and magnificently mysterious wordless voice magic. Another absolutely stunning composition displaying creative talent of Groupthink!!! "Absolute Doubt", moves to more celestial realms, again spiced by various freshly sounding and shimmeringly passing high-tech ingredients. This closing piece is sonically inventive and strongly evocative with delicate nostalgia and cinematic feel to it. Yes, it's not easy to fully appreciate this recording during the first listening session, but every repeated exploration is spectacularly rewarding, because "Of Microcosmic Origins" is packed with enormously stimulating, compelling and intriguing ambient electronica!!! And give a try also to a headphone listening, it will provide you with an exceptional and adventurous ride!!! Final mastering by Gregory Kyryluk and released at the beginning of March 2012. For me, a truly masterful and extraordinary debut, Darren & Edward, long life to Groupthink!!!

Richard Gürtler (Mar 25, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)