Author Topic: My review of "I Remember (Translations Of Mørketid)" CD by Bvdub  (Read 557 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop

Bvdub "I Remember (Translations Of Mørketid)" CD

Prolific and applauded sound explorer Brock Van Wey aka Bvdub offers to us his second album for Italian Glacial Movements label, based around his own feelings and memories, which were evoked when exploring Netherworld's album "Mørketid". I must say the result of these "translations" is absolutely stunning, transporting each listener into pristine, misty regions and achieving the status of one of the most beautiful and imaginative works of 2011. "This Place Has Only Known Sadness", a 16-minute prologue, opens with spiraling, colder drones, which are enriched by delicate strings and above immense snowy landscapes floating dreamy femme voices. The second half of this amazing piece is gradually evolving and it reaches more intense and massive soundwalls. Colossally magnificent composition!!! "We Said Forever" unveils more poetic and tranquil terrains, at least for the first 5-plus minutes, again masterfully spiced by acoustics and heavenly choirs. This longer, clocking to nearly 15 minutes, and blissful sonic exploration slowly moves into heavier, stormy texture with hidden dub techno ingredients. Epic soundscaping at its finest!!! The next longer piece,"The Promise (Reprise)", features David Williams as guest and creates with its looped structure mesmerizingly picturesque and sentimental feel, less dramatic, but as much grandiose!!! Nostalgic piano leads "Would It Be The Same" into truly poetic territories, but soon it traverses into realms colored with hypnotically pulsing dub elements. Rapidly moving, sharper beats are precisely interacting with slowed-down, but more monumental parts. Celestial voices invade the stage and enrich this piece towards the end. Fully enjoyable and definitely the most uplifting passage of this journey. "There Was Nothing But Beauty In My Heart" unwraps with another poetically beautiful atmosphere carefully spiced by various hisses. Soon tender acoustic guitar wizardry and warmly expressive femme voices enter the show to bring this composition into not only heavenly, heartwarming realms, but for me, also into an ultimate position of a milestone!!! Now Glacial Movements are bridged with slight 4AD vocal reminiscences, Bravo Maestro!!! The final piece, "A Taste Of Your Own Medicine" is the only rather shorter piece on this album clocking to 6 and half minutes. Based on monotonously repetetive and rough ambience. Nicely fitting outro! As usual, Bjarne Riesto and Keep Adding joined their forces for fully rewarding visual immersion. To be honest, I am quite an outsider to lately emerging Bvdub's discography, I am familiar only with his previous Glacial Movements release, the essential "The Art Of Dying Alone" album, but "I Remember (Translations Of Mørketid)" excels in every aspect and is packed with 79 minutes of musical virtuosity and listening pleasure. A true masterpiece!!!

Richard Gürtler (Mar 25, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:48:24 AM by richardgurtler »