Author Topic: Cecilia- the Best Sound Software I Have Used.  (Read 1894 times)

patternsintheivy

• View Profile
    • Patterns in the Ivy
Cecilia- the Best Sound Software I Have Used.
« on: April 02, 2012, 05:14:44 AM »
I just wanted to share this software with people who may not have heard of it. I was introduced to it by my Music Technology lecturer, as one of the standard sound editors on Macs, but then found out that there is also a Windows version and now use it for everything.

Pretty much anything is possible, and the best way to learn how to use this software is by experimenting. I have used it to make ambient pads out of short samples, to make complex multi-layered textures, and the reverb module is just fantastic.

Cecilia

Definitely worth a go for all electronic composers, especially for acousmatic music. Oh, and it's free.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Cecilia- the Best Sound Software I Have Used.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:05 AM »
From memory, I struggled with this program back in '98 when I was at York Uni and we were using these uber-arcane SGI machines on some UNIX platform (I think). Makes me realise how straightforward sound processing is these days - in comparison to command-line cryptics of the past !

Out of interest, I tried again and remembered the headaches involved in using such things - CSound, Tcl/TK libraries etc...

I'd be interested to hear some of your examples, mind you.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
It's all totally in how people like to work.   I always come back to the idea that tools are tools - whether it's my piano, or someone on a laptop running pd or someone playing cello - or something twiddling knobs on a modular - or banging to cans of baked beans together.

Everyone relates to their tools differently.

I'm a musician and a programmer - and I didn't enjoy programming music.  But that's me.  So I've steered clear of csound and it's children since some initial experiments way back.  Some people feel the vibrations, some feel the magic in the math.

it's all good!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

JeromeDisney

• View Profile
    • auralscapes
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 06:09:11 AM »
Just my sixpence worth on the subject. I found Samplitude 11 Pro  to be the one that suits me best. It was a little pricey to buy it at first, but in the long run proved to be fantastic value for money. I use Samplitude for all audio work (guitars, drums, bass, strings etc.) and Sonar X1 for all MIDI tasks (synths, ethnic libraries etc). It's a long-winded way of working but it gets me the results I want. Can't see myself changing from the formula unless someone gets bought out or the companies go bust.
Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it - Mahatma Gandhi