Author Topic: My review of "Winter Gardens" CDr by The Winterhouse  (Read 841 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Winter Gardens" CDr by The Winterhouse
« on: April 28, 2012, 01:02:22 AM »

The Winterhouse "Winter Gardens" CDr

"Winter Gardens" is the 4th album of the collaborative project The Winterhouse, featuring the Canadian-US duo of Anthony Paul Kerby (London, Ontario) and Robert Davies (Ithaca, New York). Released at the beginning of March 2012 on the usual imprint via Anthony's DataObscura. The album opens quietly with pastoral "Winter Hymn", a serenely flowing organic ambience that precisely sets the stage for this deeply panoramic meandering through the serenity of a winter landscape wrapped in a heavy blanket of snow. Ice cold monotonous drones invade "The Depths Of Winter" and are precisely bridged with assorted cavernously echoed effects, gurgles and rumblings. Towards the end the texture moves into more experimental terrains. This must be the exciting soundtrack for your journey into the breathtaking "winter gardens" of underground ice cavern labyrinths with all their fascinating and mysterious ice figures and structures. Absolutely gorgeous!!! Deep, static, but massive drone magic enters the next composition, "This Land Drifts Into Silence", and it's nicely colored by miscellaneous distant winds, hisses and occasional heartbeats. It is gradually progressing and soaring above misty, snow capped trees. Delicate sonic disruptions fly along too. Stunningly immersive snowscapes, great work, guys!!! "We Walk Through Glass" keeps on the aerial, dreamy route, with a richly layered cascading structure offering drama and depth, and where icy drones are merged with diverse hazy sonic experiments, hisses and outbursts. "A Winter Symphony" is crossed with modern classical elements, which attractively interact with deeper drone wizardry created by some strongly absorbing voice magics. A really exciting cinematic-like composition filled with variety and intensity, and always gorgeously fascinating and strikingly picturesque!!! "Solitude" is the 13 minute closing composition and another perfectly fitting title with a richly textured, cavernous feel enhanced by various alien breathings, rumbling noises and water sounds. Another amazing trip into the magnificent subterranean domain. Anthony Paul Kerby and Robert Davies have unlocked for me truly beautiful scenic winter wonderland landscapes and underground chambers. Explore your "Winter Gardens" too!!!

Richard Gürtler (Apr 27, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Winter Gardens" CDr by The Winterhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
Great review as usual, Richard. I received this from Anthony recently and am really enjoying it.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »
Many thanks for the excellent review, Richard.  :)

And so glad to hear you are enjoying this wintery excursion, Harry.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »
Thank you so much, Harry, feedbacks are always welcome!!!  :)

Thank you so much, Anthony, excellent music=excellent review, it's easy!!! :)

Richard