Author Topic: Oophoi 2012 remasters Databloem  (Read 927 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Oophoi 2012 remasters Databloem
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
I'm confused by the "remaster" tag on the new Practising Nature Oophoi CDR reissues.  Some of them I thought had already been remastered.  For example, "Mare Vaporum"--I have the CD edition called "Meditation" (on label Applaus) in which tapes were remastered by Karel Kourek around 2003-2004 (who remastered the other "Mare" discs which came out on CD on Nextera), but I notice there is a "2010 remaster" CDR of Mare Vaporum.  In 2006, Umbra reissued "Celestial Geometries" as a remaster of the original album plus included an extra disc of unreleased pieces.  Now there's a 2012 edition (two separate CDR's) of this set.  Are they really remastered again, or is this just simply a reissue of the 2006 edition??? 

Can anyone comment on if it is worth replacing my Umbra discs.  Is the sound quality significantly better?

Thanks!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: Oophoi 2012 remasters Databloem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
Yep, would be good to have more details.
I'd think it best to ask Dennis Knopper at Databloem what was involved in the remastering and who did it, or are they really just reissues.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 12:47:50 AM »
i have the oophoi PN re-issues except for the Archaic Oceans set.
they have been remastered at a slightly subtle higher volume for your comfort (as well as most of the longer tracks are divided in 10-minute marks).
as with many Oophoi works listeners might tend to turn up the volume. i guess you won't have this issue anymore.
i'm not sure whether Oophoi himself choose for this 'volume improvement' or not, as his Behind The Wall Of Sleep' got another re-issue again on Nextera recently in its original unedited/non-remastered form.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:17 AM »
Thank you for the info.   Gigi confirmed this as well w/me.  I love some of the cover artwork on these, such as "Archaic Oceans 2."  I think I may have to pick up a couple of these, even though I have the originals.