Author Topic: Michael Stearns  (Read 2990 times)

DeepR

• View Profile
Michael Stearns
« on: March 29, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »
Any news about this artist?

I have Encounter and The Lost World and enjoy them.
Also Planetary Unfolding on mp3 only, because I can't find it anywhere. Possibly the greatest electronic album ever, IMO.

What else would you recommend and is he ever going to release new material?

judd stephens

• View Profile
Re: Michael Stearns
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »
I would give the amateur answer that you already have his 2 best works, that of Planetary Unfolding and Encounter (but I've never heard his old stuff- Floating Whispers, Chronos, Plunge, etc).  I'd probably check out his theme music next, especially Baraka, although other artists do contribute a few tracks to it.  His collaboration with Steve Roach & Kevin Braheny called Desert Solitaire is a fine album, and the tracks that Stearns is on, sound like Michael Stearns- that's a good album if you enjoy his warm and powerful style.   

Singing Stones and Kiva (another Roach collaboration) have some good music from what I can remember, but they are interlaced with Native American chanting tracks.  I like some chanting, Tibetan monks for example, but Native American chanting is not my favorite to listen to on cd so anyway it wouldn't be my first choice.   Also I know I've read that Sorceror and The Storm are more abstract works with more sound effects than melody, but I've heard the sound samples and it sounds pretty cool if not a terrifying ride...

I've always been curious about Floating Whispers, which pre-dates Planetary Unfolding I'm not mistaken.  It might have the song Spanish Twilight on it, and if that's the one, that track is great, but I can't speak for the rest of it.   Anyway, although they're not solo works, I'd say get Baraka and Desert Solitaire; they feature vintage Michael Stearns music.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 10:52:22 AM »
Deep R.- Planetary Unfolding is available at Groove Unlimited, I guess they acquired some rare copies of this.  It's also on Ebay right now up to $37...Yeah, Stearns has been off the radar far too long!

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:56:11 AM »
Kiva is definitely the way to go if you're into shamanic, twilight zone kind of music. My personal favorite of his!

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
Deep R.- Planetary Unfolding is available at Groove Unlimited, I guess they acquired some rare copies of this.  It's also on Ebay right now up to $37...Yeah, Stearns has been off the radar far too long!
actually, groove re-iisued some of his older works.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:59:17 AM »
I love Michael Stearns's stuff, though I can't say I love everything he's ever done.  Jewel and Ancient Leaves are great older works that Groove reissued a few years ago.  I prefer Stearns's ambient material to the more "new agey" stuff like Floating Whispers and Plunge (though each of these have great tracks, too).  Hearts of Space/Fathom put out two retrospectives a few years back with a sampling of all of the old stuff.

Planetary Unfolding is amazing.  Too bad he never did more music like that ... though Telomere's stuff is just as good, in my opinion.

DeepR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:31:31 PM »
Thanks everyone. Coincidentally this was just posted on another forum (emportal.info) :)

Here's the news from Michael himself :
I'm finishing Vidia Wesenlund's CD, it's "night music" from Scandanavia, sung in Norwegean and Swedish. This is a project I inherited about a year ago that I've re-worked extensively... it's quite haunting and beautiful. Lots of Michael Stearns music and production. Six pieces are finished and the last three are being mixed now.
I'll probably be traveling to Scandanavia with Vidia again this summer to talk with record labels there about distribution.

I'm in the middle of the Maya Skies soundtrack. It will not be elivered 'till next year, but I'm working a lot on it now.
This project is both a planetarium show and an OMNIMAX film, and it's all about the Maya calendar and people. As you probably know, the Maya "long count" comes to an end in December of 2012, and there's a lot of speculation about what that could mean for humanity. I'm
working in many modes on this project, one of which is microtonal, working in both 20 and 13 tone systems.
Last November I traveled to Yucatan and Chiapas in Mexico to record Maya ceremonial music which I will weave into the soundtrack with my own music.

Nature's Journey was released last September on both standard and Blue Ray DVD. This soundtrack is entirely my music.

The Baraka remix is now complete and the new Baraka standard DVD and Blue Ray DVD will be released in September. Both contain dts 96/24 5.1 soundtracks, as well as extra material that includes a "making of" documentary.

The crew from Baraka is now out in the world shooting the sequel "Samsara".
Ron Fricke is directing again and Mark Magidson producing. They are currently shooting in Africa. I will start this score next year, working again with Lisa Gerard of Dead Can Dance.

So, a lot happening here at the moment. I'm not sure when I will release another solo CD. One thought is to create a CD of themes from 'soundtracks', since I've recorded so many lately that have
only been released on DVD. Vidia and I really enjoy working together, so we'll be doing a CD as a colaboration soon.

In the studio, I'm now working with the new Roland V Synth GT, Korg M3 and the amazing Roland VG-99 guitar synthesizer... they are all fantastic.

Hope you are well. Give my regards to everyone over there!
Michael

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »
One thing I always thought was odd...the soundtrack to Baraka does indeed contain some original Stearns material but it also has also music from other artists, e.g. Dead Can Dance, Anaguma and Sebastiano, David Hykes and the Harmonic Choir, some Tibetan Monks, Somei Satoh...yet it's always listed as a Michael Stearns album
http://www.amazon.com/Baraka-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B0000015GX/ref=pd_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1207017988&sr=8-8

Not to take anything away from Michael Stearns. He's a great artist. But in this particular case, well, I just think it's a stretch saying he did the soundtrack. Unless he picked the tracks and sequenced them in conjunction with Fricke, the director.