Author Topic: New Music From Mathias Grassow  (Read 3872 times)

GordonDanis

• "Because I had to get it all in"-John Coltrane
    • View Profile
New Music From Mathias Grassow
« on: March 29, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »
Two works of note: The first, Ambiessence, is a collaboration with Bruno Sanfillipo on the AD21 label, and is quite reminiscent of The Pearl and Forgotten Placesby James Johnson & Robert Scott Thompson.

The second work, Quiet Calling, is a long-form drift/drone piece with Matt's frequent collaborator of late, Thomas Weiss. It is one of those works best heard while immersed via headphones, as the subtle changes are more perceptible in that manner. Quiet Calling can be obtained through Mathias' Web site www.mathias-grassow-de, and perhaps other venues as well in the near future.
-gd

drone on

• View Profile
Re: New Music From Mathias Grassow
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 11:57:57 AM »
Cool, thanks for the info. I just ordered Ambessence from ad21.  Is the InTRO disc worth getting?

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:15:44 PM »
Two works of note: The first, Ambiessence, is a collaboration with Bruno Sanfillipo on the AD21 label, and is quite reminiscent of The Pearl and Forgotten Placesby James Johnson & Robert Scott Thompson.

The second work, Quiet Calling, is a long-form drift/drone piece with Matt's frequent collaborator of late, Thomas Weiss. It is one of those works best heard while immersed via headphones, as the subtle changes are more perceptible in that manner. Quiet Calling can be obtained through Mathias' Web site www.mathias-grassow-de, and perhaps other venues as well in the near future.

Gordon is right on the mark with his desccription of Ambessence (no "i"). I first thought of Budd amd RST too. I have only listened to it once, but this is a very good recording. If you enjoy Budd's piano/textures recordings, you're probbaly gonna love this one. Of particular note is how each track is subtly (or even not so subtly) different from one another without derailing the continuity.

GordonDanis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:03:17 PM »
Drone On, what is the inTro CD to which you are referring?  It doesn't appear to be one of Mathias' CDs.  His other new CD is Quiet Calling with frequent collborator Thomas Weiss on the Musical Philosophy label
-gd

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »
Drone On, what is the inTro CD to which you are referring?  It doesn't appear to be one of Mathias' CDs.  His other new CD is Quiet Calling with frequent collborator Thomas Weiss on the Musical Philosophy label

InTRO is a recent release by Sanfilippo, not Grassow.

zappamusic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 07:26:39 AM »
hello all,

anyone agree with me, Himavat one of the best ambient/dark ambient cd's ever?
looking forward to hear the new disc from the ambient master.

greetings,

zappamusic
truth is not beauty,
beauty is not love,
love is not music,
music is the best.

zappa

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:58:24 AM »
I prefer Dissolution, Sphere and Space.

Very dark and noisy.

GordonDanis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
You can access clips from some of the Mathias Grassow/Thomas Weiss collabs athttp://www.myspace.com/labelmp
-gd

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »
Ambessence is a very nice release.  Headphone listening is recommended on this, as the drones are low in the mix and very subtle (my car stereo didn't do it justice).