Author Topic: Soft Synths....What do you like?  (Read 8058 times)

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Soft Synths....What do you like?
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:40:39 AM »
Its been quite some time since Ive used soft synths....Generator, then Reaktor when they first came out.  Things have change and there are a lot to choose from.  I would like to add a few to my sonic palette.

Thanks!

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Soft Synths....What do you like?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Hi Julio, Camel Audio's "Alchemy" is a powerful sample manipulator/player vsti that I would highly recommend.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
I second Alchemy.

I'm also a big fan of the Native Instrument stuff. Their Komplete package is full of a remarkable variety of quality instruments and effects, and well worth the price ... especially when they have a deal on. Could be all a person needs.

U-He also has some fine synths, like Zebra and Ace. Also the new Diva.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations Scott & APK.....Alchemy is one I had my eye on and is any software based system complete without NI's Komplete.  There so much in there its almost overwhelming!

Not familiar U-He, but I will defiantly look it up.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
Zebra is great, Kontakt is amazing, you should also check out vsti from HG Fortune, there are some great synths on his web site
http://www.hgf-synthesizer.de/
he provides free versions of most of his pro stuff, usual restriction is just reduced polyphony, so you can try them out and decide if you want to go for the pro version.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:21:09 AM »
Alchemy with the Luftrum: Ambient pack is very nice.

Don't forget Absynth. An oldie but goodie.

Another I use is Omnisphere, but it's more of a ROMpler with a synth built in. Despite that, the amount of control it gives you allows you to easily make your own patches without it sounding like Omnisphere. All in all, it's a very fun, easy tool to use.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 01:57:57 PM »
Absynth and Korg's softsynth version of the Wavestation are two that come to mind. I also use a couple that came with Pluggo, but that's discontinued. Which brings up a point about Soft Synths that I don't like, most of them seem to loose support after awhile, so if you upgrade your system they will stop working and you'll need to find something else. Or, you have to keep buying endless upgrades to software that doesn't change much.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »
I am not a huge fan of soft-synths, but then again I do like them  :P

Meaning I think they are a lot of fun and I love the ease of programing them, but I am not a fan of albums that are soft synth only so to speak.

Having said that I do own the entire NI Komplete, but the only synths I use out of it consistently are FM-8 and Kontakt (a sampler I know) and Kontakt is usually for organ and piano sounds and such when a client needs them in a pop mix.

The ones that show up regularly in my work are FM-8 and the Korg Wavestation and M-1. I guess what I am comfortable with are emulations of hardware synths I used to own and are digital synthesis in nature and not analog emulations. I also am a huge fan of physical modeling and I have been loving the new Chromophone by AAS.

Honorable mention goes to NI's Massive, AAS Tassman and G-Force Oddity as well.

I am however curious to upgrade to Cubase 6.5 as I have heard great things about their new padstation and a new ana-emo that come in the new version.

Paul
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone....Im checking into them.

I think Komplete is too much for me.  I can see I would not use a majority of the software included.  might go for the Reaktor player as I like Prism, Razor, Massive and Sparks.  Perhaps NI will have one of those crazy sales on Komplete which are just too good to turn down!

Omnisphere.....I started a thread asking about this so it was well covered.......Im still trying to resist.

I should mention that I just upgraded my old G5 to a new Macbook pro so much of this new software has been out of my reach.

I loved my Wavestation when I had it.....the software version must be easier to create sounds on.  I will definitely look into this.

I remember AAS Tassman back from early Reaktor days, they sort of came on the scene around the same times.  I had forgotten about them.

HG Fortune's Synth Serenity is very special.

Once I get the new version of logic loaded up I will be able to demo some of your suggestions.

atb.....Julio

Michael Allison

• View Profile
    • The Darshan Ambient Website
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 08:55:21 AM »
I love the Omnisphere. Also one of the more obscure soft synths I like is Tonehammer's Emotional Piano, which sounds really nice.
m.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 04:49:19 AM »
Hi Michael......thanks for the link to the Emotional Piano.  love the warmth & tones of this.

Whats this Newbie status you have acquired......I remember chatting with you here in the early 90's.  We do tend to come and go from this forum over time.  Good to see you here again. 

Michael Allison

• View Profile
    • The Darshan Ambient Website
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »
Thanks Julio, actually it has been so long since I last posted anything I forgot all my login info  :D  so I re-registered.  Yes, I really enjoy the Emotional Piano sounds. They are very warm and quite realistic too. There is also something called Piano In Blue by Cinesamples which is actually samples from the acoustic piano used on Miles' Kind Of Blue album as well as many other classic's. The sound is gorgeous. Here's the link: http://cinesamples.com/products/piano-in-blue/

Cheers,

m.
m.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
Thanks again Michael for a wonderful piano recommendation......this is very cool.  Not just the piano that was samples but that they were able to use the original mics, consul & studio to sample this steinway is quite unique.  I know there are a LOT of piano sample libraries looking for attention.....you have point out a couple of special ones!

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »
Hi, I have been playing with the OP-X PRO-II and I'm really impressed with the quality of this soft synth. I can't say I've enjoyed "playing" any other soft synth. Reminds me of back in the days when you would just sit at a synth and play. The OP-X II has a bunch of added trimmer pots that do some really nice things. It's definitely a Van Halen sounding synth but if start from scratch you can build some very nice organic sounds and they're incredibly warm. One of it's cool features is that it runs through a set of variations per key depressed. Easier to see on the website but it gives it a really natural feel.  When I play it I actually feel like I'm playing a hardware synth.

s

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 09:48:01 AM »
Hi, I have been playing with the OP-X PRO-II and I'm really impressed with the quality of this soft synth.

Last time I checked that was for windows only, has that changed?
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
Hi, I have been playing with the OP-X PRO-II and I'm really impressed with the quality of this soft synth.

Last time I checked that was for windows only, has that changed?
I looked on the website and found this [url]http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/macversion.html/url] . It basically says that the OP-X Pro-II is a windows only plug-in , but that a package is available for it to run as a stand alone on the Mac. Sounds pretty interesting.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the post Saul......have to say that the Matrix demo bank on the OP-X Pro site had me going......so I fired up my Matrix 12 to check if what I was hearing was so.   Im impressed!  I have always been one for if you want analog get real analog,  software does not do it well, all the wavetable and sample stuff software is taking the lead over hardware but not analog.  Never listen to the Arturia clones, but this one really does have something.

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
Personally, I like really simple softsynths with barely any hidden menus or items so i tend to gravitate towards things like the OP-X. I have Largo too which is pretty interesting. It's hard to pull a good sound out of it as it comes off bellish sounding to me.

:)

gain95

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 05:35:23 AM »
Alchemy with the Luftrum: Ambient pack is very nice.

I second that, also some of the other alchemy-packs are very good for instance Analogica by Ian Boddy.
Also using Gladiator from TOne 2 as my second "go-to" bread-and-butter synth.
And Trilian for Bass...

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
Hello gain95.....thanks for your confirmation of alchemy.  Welcome!  I have the demo running now and the Luftrum presets include are some of the best.  What excites me about this app is loading up ones own samples and the possibilities that could come from that.

So far Ive purchased "The Emotional Piano & the virtual Wavestation which is just as quirky as the original hardware and way to small a gui for my 17" laptop, but hey.....somethings don't change.  I loved my hardware wavestaion while I had it and it was not really friendly as far as programming, menus and a tiny lcd etc.....this is sort of the same but still a much more programable interface, especially the wave sequencing.

What Im noticing as I demo the software discussed here is that some of the best have a tendency too take away a certain amount of the joys of layering sounds that is so crucial to ambient music.  I say take away because these virtual instruments do it for you in the most seductive manner. The people used to develop the sounds are just brilliant,  certainly better programmers than I and yet Im not so comfortable having all this handed to me...sure you can tweak away but it seems to me a subtractive endeavor......kind of mess up a beautifully crafted preset just to make it your own.   Why not just start out all by oneself and enjoy the journey of discovery.

Thanks everyone for your contribution!