Author Topic: Soft Synths....What do you like?  (Read 9366 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Soft Synths....What do you like?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »

I'm talking about those who turn their nose up at free music because they assume it's all crap.

Yes, I agree that's a problem.  But it think underscores the need for more curators on the netlabel scene.

Forrest

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
I think Forrest's point ("the need for more curators on the netlabel scene") is an important one.

For example: I can't tell you the number of times I've received demos over the years at DataObscura and have replied with where it needs some more work and what tracks are weak, only to see it come out shortly after on a netlable in the original and, in my mind, sub-standard form.

This is of course aided by having places where netlabels can host albums for free, like the internet music archive, or bandcamp.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
For example: I can't tell you the number of times I've received demos over the years at DataObscura and have replied with where it needs some more work and what tracks are weak, only to see it come out shortly after on a netlable in the original and, in my mind, sub-standard form.

A thousand times this! Every time I think I should reach out to some netlabel artist and say "Hey, I liked your album XYZ, do you want to consider submitting something to Hypnos?" I recall the experiences I've had similar to what APK describes above.

I worry that when someone is accustomed to releasing music with no gatekeeper, no obstacles of any kind between their "rough draft" recordings and a final released product, they come to believe there's no point in editing, reworking or refining in a painstaking way to come up with a recording that's the best it can be.

I think the netlabel mindset too often is, unfortunately, "fuck it, just stick it up there so people can start downloading and I can brag about how many thousands of DLs my release has."

There are exceptions of course and I don't mean to paint the entire scene with this brush.

And oh shit, I'm off topic.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »
Yes, I agree that's a problem.  But it think underscores the need for more curators on the netlabel scene.
While I agree, I still think netlabels have a stigma they need to shake.
Curators need to be strict in what they'll accept, and not be afraid to turn someone down because it isn't up to their standards. There's no question you have to pick through the chaff. But like any label (record or net), once you find artists who have output you enjoy, you can just follow them.

And to repeat/add to what APK and Mike said, the other issue is where artists will release EVERYTHING they produce, resulting in mostly mediocre music. I think that's the quickest way for an artist to tire their listener base and lose them.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
And to repeat/add to what APK and Mike said, the other issue is where artists will release EVERYTHING they produce, resulting in mostly mediocre music. I think that's the quickest way for an artist to tire their listener base and lose them.

Yes, absolutely.  I couldn't agree more.  I think that being self-critical and particular about what you release is essential to growing as a musician.  A little distance and perspective can help sort out whether that funky two-hour improv done two years ago really sounded that great after all.  Sometimes a demo is still just a demo.

Forrest

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:37 AM »
I think this is a really valuable discussion, I don't wish to sidetrack Julio's original post, but it would be great if this was a separate topic.

Also, it would be great if other Netlabel owners and Artists contributed as well as Mike, to get a more balanced view on things. I've written a fair bit about these points in the past and I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 03:49:32 AM »
Soft Synths.....Soft Music Labels, works for me.  Only reason to separate might be that threads like this can become great resources for others looking into software synths and this is so much better than the best of type threads. 

I agree with Pete that the net label does deserve its own thread.....important topic!

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »
Ive been playing around with Absynth 5.......its sound design capabilities are staggering, The GUI is not my cup of tea, especially on a 17" laptop, sort of organic but not very friendly.  I do see that a stroke of a mouse or a Bamboo pen can be more efficient the turning a virtual knob with the same.  I guess it comes down to scale.  Also whats with those envelope generators.....I understand the sonic potential of having the level of manipulation, but not in a micro environment. 

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
Also as Ive brought up "scale" within the DAW environment....I want to mention how great it is within Logic 9 on the Mac within OSX 10.7.4 that all the native software synths/samplers like Sculpture
& ESX24 are all scaleable.....that is I can drag the corner of the GUI to fit the entire screen of my laptop.  Thats a 17" interface to work on and the resolution does hold up.  NO third party software does this.....not for me so far.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 06:14:43 PM »
I agree, the GUI for Absynth is bizarre, but I love it the sounds you can get out of it. As I mentioned before, loading in presets and tearing them apart teaches you a lot very quickly. The only issue is it tends to have a colder, more sterile sound... nothing a few effects in the chain can't fix, of course.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2012, 04:03:27 AM »
Yes....I did notice that Absynth was somewhat cold, almost brittle in sound.  Not necessarily a bad thing,

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2012, 12:23:05 PM »
I like VAZ Modular myself, there's enough in that synth to keep all of you scratching your heads for an eternity or two, it sounds amazing and its still very supported but its for Windows.

On another forum there's some talk about iZotope IRIS, anybody tried it yet? 
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »
iZotope, IRIS looks very unique....downloading the demo now. Their audio processing software is highly thought of.  IRIS sort of reminds me of U&I software's Metasynth.  http://www.uisoftware.com/MetaSynth/index.php

Thanks for posting about IRIS sraymar.  I remember VAZ, didn't that come on the scene around the same time as NI's first generation of Reaktor? 

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »
IRIS is...... :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) :-* cant say I have ever come across anything like it.  Just can't find the words to describe what Im hearing so best to download the PC or Mac demo for yourself.  I will say that the visual editing use tools similar to what you find in Photoshop & Illustrator and this leads to some heavy manipulation of the graphically displayed sample.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2012, 04:44:19 AM »
Thanks for posting about IRIS sraymar.  I remember VAZ, didn't that come on the scene around the same time as NI's first generation of Reaktor?

I've only  checked out some videos for IRIS so far, seems pretty cool. VAZ has been around since '96 or so and it plays samples too. Now if you tweek a sample with IRIS then run it through a soft synth(like say VAZ modular) many new possibilities are available to keep you busy for a long time.
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2012, 05:20:30 AM »
I have to say I founds IRIS's sounds a tad underwhelming - a very interesting concept and GUI, but it didn't really do it for me, sonically.

Just come across a free / Beta modular vst synth, which is pretty good in my view:
'Sonigen Modular'
http://sonigen.com/

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2012, 05:29:02 AM »
Come on Pete......making music out of Food Sample, underwhelming! ;D. Izotope is sell a library based on food :o.  I played with the demo a lot last night and I do like the sounds.  I drop some audio from older tracks and had fun warping them etc.   Came away with the sense that it could be a one trick pony.  A very good one trick but limited.  Still discovering though.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2012, 05:44:09 AM »
The Glass sound library for Iris is quite good
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski