Author Topic: Where are they now? Ashera Edition  (Read 3327 times)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
Where are they now? Ashera Edition
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:20:06 AM »
Whatever happened to this ambient artist?  The last CD was 2003's excellent Enviro!

Bill Binkelman

Re: Where are they now? Ashera Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:28:24 AM »
Whatever happened to this ambient artist?  The last CD was 2003's excellent Enviro!

I've wondered the same thing about Anthony over the last few years. His website has been relatively static for awhile but it's still there. IMO, his Cobalt 144 is easily in the top 50 ambient albums of all time. I wil admit,  though, I didn't much care for Sextant, his teaming together with Brannan Lane.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:35:49 AM »
I think he and his wife had a baby - and that's likely where his time is going...  Don't quote me on that, but I seem to remember reading about that a few years back.   

While I've never had a child myself, I can't imagine that life altering of an event not cutting into free time to write and record music... :)

I have Colour Glow which I've always found to be an excellent cd.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
I will admit,  though, I didn't much care for Sextant, his teaming together with Brannan Lane.

I thought that one was good, but not as great as the rest of Ashera's oeuvre.  Strange, you don't hear much from Brannan Lane anymore either.  He was really flooding the ambient "market" there for a while.  I could never get into his stuff at all.

That reminds me.  What happened with Space for Music records.  I note they are selling perhaps 10% of the artists they used to carry.  No more Zero Ohms, etc. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:31:15 AM by Brian Bieniowski »

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »
I will admit,  though, I didn't much care for Sextant, his teaming together with Brannan Lane.

I thought that one was good, but not as great as the rest of Ashera's oeuvre.  Strange, you don't hear much from Brannan Lane anymore either.  He was really flooding the ambient "market" there for a while.  I could never get into his stuff at all.

That reminds me.  What happened with Space for Music records.  I note they are selling perhaps 10% of the artists they used to carry.  No more Zero Ohms, etc. 

I think this would be a good topic, don't you? A "where are they now?" thread? Maybe I will post one and get the ball started.

As for Spacecraft and SpaceForMusic, well, I see Tony Gerber mentioned now and then in emails I get about the electronic music scene in the southeast, sent out by the guy who records as Sensitive Chaos, Jim Combs. Giles Reaves still does live gigs, I know that. Not sure about the Roses (John and Diane). As for the mail order part of spaceformusic, well, join the club. Everyone is taking such hits in the retail end that I suspect he has cut way back on what he sells. Just a guess on my part. Tony used to participate (well, at least post spam/self-promotion) in some forums, notably The Ambient Way. But haven't heard much from him lately.

As for Brannan...yeah, he was really going all out for awhile, which a lot of people had raised eyebrows about. He had that one woman (name?) working for him who spammed/promoted online like crazy at rec.music.ambient, the assorted Yahoo groups, etc. He was upset with me over my less-than-favorable review of Sextant and that was the last I ever heard from him. I found some of his stuff quite good and other stuff, well, take it or leave it. Sleep Cycle is excellent, IMO, as is Lost Caverns of Thera. His collabs with Zero Ohms are also very good. I think with Brannan, he just over-saturated the market in too short a time (hmmmm....nope, won't go there) and also might have worked a little too hard at internet self-promotion.

Of course, he plays a lot more than just ambient music and I believe he does just fine doing session work and playing live in other genres in his hometown environs.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:15:07 AM »
I only have a slice or two of Brannan's musical piechart but before I read Bill's comments
I was also going to recommend Sleep Cycles as a very fine ambient album.
Now I don't have to.  ;)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:21:34 PM »
We used to sell plenty of Brannan Lane CDs through the Hypnos store, but then Brannan started doing things like "buy 1, get 1 free" deals through his web site, which made it pretty much impossible to sell his CDs for the normal prices.  I told him that his 2-for-1, and $5 CD special deals, were going to prevent me from wanting to keep stocking his items in the Hypnos store.  He was apologetic about it, but kept offering these CD deals almost constantly (rather than as exceptional "special deals") so our sales of Brannan Lane CDs dropped off to zero.

I also believehe overloaded the market.  While it's open to debate whether an established and respected artist like Steve Roach is releasing too much music, I think less-established guys like Brannan Lane and Robert Carty who do the whole "6 or 8 new releases per year" thing run the risk of making everyone tune them out completely.  It seems that both guys I just mentioned have slowed way down lately.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 01:28:01 PM »
We used to sell plenty of Brannan Lane CDs through the Hypnos store, but then Brannan started doing things like "buy 1, get 1 free" deals through his web site, which made it pretty much impossible to sell his CDs for the normal prices.  I told him that his 2-for-1, and $5 CD special deals, were going to prevent me from wanting to keep stocking his items in the Hypnos store.  He was apologetic about it, but kept offering these CD deals almost constantly (rather than as exceptional "special deals") so our sales of Brannan Lane CDs dropped off to zero.

I also believehe overloaded the market.  While it's open to debate whether an established and respected artist like Steve Roach is releasing too much music, I think less-established guys like Brannan Lane and Robert Carty who do the whole "6 or 8 new releases per year" thing run the risk of making everyone tune them out completely.  It seems that both guys I just mentioned have slowed way down lately.

Carty is still doing music but is mantinaing a low profile. He just released an album recently with Eric Hopper of Sylken, IIRC.

I was never a big Carty guy. That really used to piss off Eric Meese a ton, too. He really thought I had terrible taste because I didn't agree with him that Carty was as good as Serrie, etc.

Yeah, Brannan really opened the floodgates for a couple of years. Some of his music was pretty good, though. I wouldn't discount him out of hand, necessarily.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »
I never could get into Ashera, though I tried. I had "Cobalt 144" and "We Gaia", but couldn't get interested in either one.

Same with Brannan Lane- I had a few of his, but none of them stuck...