Author Topic: Drone On's review of "Sc'ath M'anam" CDR by I've Lost  (Read 626 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Drone On's review of "Sc'ath M'anam" CDR by I've Lost
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
Armed with just an electric guitar and effects, and some choice field recordings placed here and there, Bobby Jones (aka I've Lost) has crafted an exquisitely beautiful release for Relaxed Machinery.  "Sc'ath M'anam," released in 2011, comes in a slimline jewelcase with some enigmatic artwork (thanks to Hypnos who produce the physical product--it's also available as a download of course).  The scant liner notes include just the track titles and a "thank you" list, but no mention of Mr. Jones or his equipment list.  The music is quiet, minimal, very melancholy bordering on gloomy, highly atmospheric, and extremely personal and emotional.  This intimate nature almost feels like you're eavesdropping on someone's personal thoughts.  The album is divided into just two tracks.  71-minute "I Wish I Could Fly" goes through eight distinct movements, and varies from abstract, stratospheric soundscapes to more recognizable (but still heavily effected) guitar notes and chords.  Anyone who has appreciated masters of the electric guitar like Fripp, Guthrie, Pearce, Saiz, etc. will find much to their liking here.  My only complaint about this piece is that it should have had index points for the eight movements.  The final track, the appropriately titled "Ghosts on the Wind" (and I say appropriately titled because the whole album has what I would describe as a ghostly quality), consists of heavily reverberated, echoed plucked notes, with a quite meditative, reflective, and uplifting quality, like a beautiful lullabye.  This is an amazing album, and definitely one of the best, if not the best, release I have heard from Relaxed Machinery!!!         

btocher

• Listening; writing.
    • View Profile
    • EarTickles
Re: Drone On's review of "Sc'ath M'anam" CDR by I've Lost
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
The download's been sitting in my to-listen folder for a while now. Your review has me almost drooling! Really looking forward to hearing this.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »
Great review! I've been meaning to pick this up for awhile. I definitely will now.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:19 AM »
I'm so happy you're listening to Relaxed Machinery albums and enjoying them!   Let me flip my rM owner hat back on...

Bobby is from Portland and has well over 20 years experience in the industry - doing touring sound and recording in some wonderful studios.  He records with guitar and effects and that's pretty much it - except occasionally some field recordings.   The artwork is a painting by TJ Norris (who some of you may recognize that name from ambient reviews).

http://relaxedmachinery.com/releases/ive-lost-scath-manam-rm_0010/

Here's or Release Info which explains the title and a bit of Bobby's feelings on this albums:

Scáth M’anam is the first album by I’ve Lost to be released on Relaxed Machinery. Scáth M’anam is a Gaelic phrase, which can be translated as “Shadow of My Soul”. The artist, aka Bobby Jones, chose this title by looking to his Irish roots. He explains the project’s motive:

“As a reaction to the unstoppable machine of technological advancements, I composed this album as a means to desperately hold on to, and express, my humanity. The works are the result of an emotional, and subsequently human, response to the world. They are fragile, intimate, personal and genuine.”

In keeping with the artist’s historical role, Bobby offers the listener an intimate glimpse into his humanity – bringing to light those elements which may be lost, or considered unimportant in the wake of social, economic and political changes resulting from technological “progress”.

Cover design: Steve Brand

Original art: TJ Norris
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei