Author Topic: My review of "Weightless Hours" CD by Neu Gestalt  (Read 618 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Weightless Hours" CD by Neu Gestalt
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:39:31 AM »

Neu Gestalt "Weightless Hours" CD

In Edinburgh, Scotland, based sonic architect Les Scott aka Neu Gestalt has just released during June 2012 his second full length album "Weightless Hours" through local Alex Tronic Records, a follow-up to his debut "Altered Carbon", released in 2008. I am immediately amazed with the visual quality of the CD, which comes with stunningly designed artwork featured on 8-panel foldout insert, containing various pictures (with many appearing in tiny cameo) and extensive liner notes on release, used images and field recordings, which surround everyday's life of Neu Gestalt's sole protagonist. I really nice effort I must say, especially nowadays when the sales of physical products are lower. The first points were awarded already!!! "Toxicology", unveils the journey with primordial ambience, enriched by water sounds and shakuhachi, crossed with hovering tech grooves and expressive piano sounds, and presents David Anderson as guest on keyboards and co-composer of this track. Nice intro! "Abandoned Cities" attract quickly with shakuhachi magics and gentle tribal tinkles, swirls and gurgles. Crystalline synthetic downtempos are precisely fragranced with sporadic hisses and organics. Shimmering world fusion electronica!!! Locomoting high-tech grooves of "Cold Wave" are seductively blended with circling, more dramatic, nearly cinematic passages, spiced here and there by mysteriously distant voice. Rather minimally carved, but maximally mesmerizing and visualizing!!! Relaxing downbeats overlap into "Saturn Park", another richly and pristinely detailed composition. "Winter" enters into more atmospheric combo of modern classical piano, crispy grooves and cyber hisses and outbursts. "Sub Rosa" remains in slower, picturesque organic atmo zones, while the next piece, "Curtain Of Rust", swiftly moves back into high-tech filigree chemistry of trance-inducing beat locomotions and pleasantly evocative moments. "On Haunted Shores" follows the footsteps of its predecessor, but piano, shakuhachi and glitches harmoniously join the stage too. "Aerial Eleven" is another stirringly exciting and absorbing trance-infused groovy soundscape. A truly relaxing hypermodern vibe!!! "Metalline" showcases highly polished synergy of aerial washes, post-classical elements and glitches, all masterfully wrapped into tremendously refreshing and warmly inviting mood. One of the ultimate highlights!!! "Sheltering Skies" venture into more active terrains, featuring all kinds of catchy swirling and tinkling sounds with cascadingly emerging nostalgic washes. Interplay of rhythms and atmospheres is hauntingly attractive here!!! The closing piece, "We Who Walk Through Walls", again expertly blends various sonic outbursts, disruptions, pulses and twinkled drifts. Technoid exotica at its most adventurous!!! "Weightless Hours" skillfully explore very personal sonic visions of Les Scott, who has managed to bring to us superb work, musically, sonically and visually!!! This album will grow on you with every listening, and don't forget your headphones!!! Highly recommended to all aficionados of downbeat/ambient electronica!!!

Richard Gürtler (June 09, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)