Author Topic: It's like ...  (Read 2330 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
It's like ...
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »
the battle of the reviewers in here !

;D
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: It's like ...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:06:54 PM »
No kidding.  I'm of two minds about this.  Somethimes you can have too much of a good thing, such as the messiness of trying to browse the archive.org site.  It would probably also be a little more polite to the reader to post the actual review instead of a link.

Forrest
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:22:46 PM by ffcal »

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
I love it!
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

btocher

• Listening; writing.
    • View Profile
    • EarTickles
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:28:44 AM »
No kidding.  I'm of two minds about this.  Somethimes you can have too much of a good thing, such as the messiness of trying to browse the archive.org site.  It would probably also be a little more polite to the reader to post the actual review instead of a link.

Hi Forrest - that'll be me posting the links, I guess. Unfortunately I'll get into all sorts of tangles cross-posting, as Google doesn't look kindly on duplicate content without lots of work behind the scenes. Running EarTickles is costing me money as well as time, so I won't cross-post - I've already had a similar discussion with jkn about this over on Relaxed Machinery.

I could start posting "teasers", as I already do on rM, with John's consent. Alternatively, I could stop posting links to reviews here altogether. What would everyone prefer? I'll go with the majority view, whatever that is.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
I don't know about others, but the links don't bother me.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
Hi Baxter,

Your reviews are interesting and I don't want to discourage you from posting them, but I think it might be helpful if you grouped the ones that were posted at the same time (for example, referencing your 7 reviews on June 4 in a single post).  The link within a post resembles viruses that have appeared on this forum, but it's not that big a deal to me.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:08:38 PM »
The links don't bother me.  The more reviews the better! :)

btocher

• Listening; writing.
    • View Profile
    • EarTickles
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:09:39 AM »
Your reviews are interesting and I don't want to discourage you from posting them, but I think it might be helpful if you grouped the ones that were posted at the same time (for example, referencing your 7 reviews on June 4 in a single post).  The link within a post resembles viruses that have appeared on this forum, but it's not that big a deal to me.

EarTickles was launched on 29 May, and I only joined the Forum here on June 4. The links to the earlier reviews were simply intended to bring anyone interested in reading them up to date. There's no way I'll ever write more than one review a day.

I took the decision from the outset not to use a URL shortener - I'd loved to have used j.mp, which I use all the time on my personal Twitter account, but that would obfuscate links for people that don't know me. So I'm not sure why my links look any more like viruses than those posted by others in, say, "Forum Member Projects News and Promotion".

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »
reviews are great, links are no problem.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
Baxter,

We have had posters in the past who have directed people to their websites (usually because they are selling something), but have not participated in the forum discussions.  I prefer to read a discussion, and not be directed to an external website, but, like I said, it's no big deal and merely intended as a friendly suggestion.

Forrest

btocher

• Listening; writing.
    • View Profile
    • EarTickles
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »
We have had posters in the past who have directed people to their websites (usually because they are selling something), but have not participated in the forum discussions.  I prefer to read a discussion, and not be directed to an external website, but, like I said, it's no big deal and merely intended as a friendly suggestion.

No problem.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 12:35:33 PM »
If posting the review here is "bad behaviour" to Google, then I'd appreciate a teaser with the link.
Thanks for the reviews BTW...   8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:56:33 PM by Scott M2 »

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
reviews are great, links are no problem.

Ditto
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Jeff Sampson

• View Profile
    • ethereal atmospherica
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
Ditto2
"ethereal atmospherica"
http://www.jeffsampsonmusic.com

btocher

• Listening; writing.
    • View Profile
    • EarTickles
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 04:27:17 AM »
Thanks for your views, everyone. I appreciate your thoughts.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 05:08:16 AM »
Just discovering this post...   Over on rM.ning - I asked Baxter to post a paragraph or so - enough for someone to get the idea if they wanted to keep reading - and then post the link back to Ear Tickles.  Another reviewer sometimes does the same. 

As long as it's not "just a link" - I'm ok with it on rM - and while Mike of course always has final say here...  I don't mind it here either. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei