Author Topic: Drone On's review of "Euterpe" by Austere  (Read 587 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Drone On's review of "Euterpe" by Austere
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
I looked forward to this with great anticipation as the press release/artist statement proclaimed it was their best work to date, and also something about giving it to your mom as a birthday present.  OK!  "Euterpe," released recently on Relaxed Machinery, is as far as I know their newest work since the excellent Hypnos release "Solyaris."  I thought "Solyaris" was phenomenal, except for my small gripe that the mastering was too loud.  So, on to "Euterpe."  The first three pieces are relatively short, around the 6 minute mark.  Opener "Polyhymnia" (hmmm, wonder where they got THAT title from?) consists of a faint electronic pulse with female vox awash in reverb and echoes.  This track was OK, but I've heard it before done better.  The sound quality isn't great, either; a little "rough" like most of the album, giving the impression these are demos instead of the final version(?)  Both "Roseate" and "Wadan" are beautiful and ethereal little gems, with some female vox and field recordings informing the latter.  However, annoying distortion (recording levels too high?) really blemishes these tracks.   4th track, the 16 minute "Sunshone," sounds really familiar.  Upon not-so-close inspection, turns out this is almost exactly the same track as "Seraphim" from the Solyaris CD! What the...?   I found this interesting in light of the statement "no paths retraced" in the press release.  Next up, 17-minute "Totonality" (gtr by Freq Magnet) is a sound collage type track that I found really bizarre and frankly grated on my nerves.  "Advenire" follows, and again upon not-too-close inspection this is just a shortened version of "Nictitate," the final track on the Solyaris CD.  At this point I am starting to feel slightly gypped (that 20 min. of this CDR is from a previous release under different names).  The track "Betroven" (flute by R. Johnson & glurp) features drones, flute soloing through heavy 'verb.  It's a nice track, yet again not one of the most original tracks of its kind. 

The sound quality issues on this release, and the rehashing of material (which borders on dishonesty) was quite disappointing.  Unfortunately for these reasons I cannot recommend this release, unless you are a hardcore Austere fan and must have everything.  :(     

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: Drone On's review of "Euterpe" by Austere
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Solaryis CD, but I would agree that the production on Euterpe is a bit rough around the edges.  I preferred some of the compilation pieces that were on the Austere box set, though I thought Euterpe was OK and worth a listen, but with an asterisk.

Forrest

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: Drone On's review of "Euterpe" by Austere
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:04:49 AM »
I thank you sincerely for listening and writing a review.  I'm sorry it didn't hit the right spots with you.

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei