Author Topic: Forrest Fang news  (Read 22315 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Forrest Fang news
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
I see a Lovecraft quote on the inside. Has Michael Griffin been hacking your layouts?  ;)

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »
I got it as a download through Bandcamp earlier in the week. I'm looking forward to an opportunity this weekend to listen to it more deeply. I'm liking what I've heard on listens in my car (not the ideal setting). Looking forward to the cd release, also.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2016, 05:40:46 PM »
I got the Bandcamp download yesterday, and have listened to it several times.  I've always been a fan, but I think this is my favorite release so far.  Excellent work.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2016, 08:36:35 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I appreciate it.

Something I forgot to mention is that Sam/Projekt's running a "free/name your price" Bandcamp promotion for Gongland this weekend.  It's mentioned in his newsletter:

http://www.projekt.com/store/forrest-fang-gongland-name-your-price-download-what-is-the-marxolin/

In the newsletter, I also responded to a listener comment about my odd-ball instrument, the Marxolin.  Here's a picture of it:

Forrest

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2016, 10:16:17 PM »
In the newsletter, I also responded to a listener comment about my odd-ball instrument, the Marxolin.  Here's a picture of it:

That's cool Forrest, never seen a Marxolin before. I have a related instrument, the Marxophone. I've never used it on any of my projects yet, maybe some day. Here's a picture of what mine looks like:

BTW looking forward to receiving my copy of your new album.  :)
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2016, 11:22:09 PM »

That's cool Forrest, never seen a Marxolin before. I have a related instrument, the Marxophone. I've never used it on any of my projects yet, maybe some day. Here's a picture of what mine looks like:

BTW looking forward to receiving my copy of your new album.  :)

I have one of those, too!   ;D   But yours is in much better condition than mine.  Remember that album that Pink Floyd was supposed to do with rubber bands?  Maybe we could do an ambient album with only Marxophones!

Let me know what you think of my new one!

Forrest

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2016, 02:34:41 AM »
Decided to go for the download just now . I will consider getting the CD also as that beautiful album cover deserves to be held and appreciated. Stunning music being eagerly devoured and enjoyed. It will be on constant rotation for a good while.

Also got the Gongland album , great stuff, thanks for that deal Forest and Projekt.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:36:13 AM by thirdsystem »

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2016, 06:22:29 AM »
Maybe we could do an ambient album with only Marxophones!

That would be cool. You guys should at least do a track for the fun of it and see how it turns out.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
Just bought the new album, along with a copy of Gongland which I was sure I already owned but must have lost...

Anyway about half way in and I am quite enjoying the thick, warm sound stage of the album and the harmonic content which is a great balance of subtle and complex...very hard to pull this off well and Forrest did that quite nicely. Meaning it the tones and layers are subtle enough to not draw undo attention to them selves in an obvious way and yet they are quite intricate if you listen deeply. Not sure if I am making sense ha ha!

I am also enjoying the blend of real acoustic instruments and electronics and even more so the delights of actual performance!

Great job Forrest!
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2016, 11:24:19 PM »
Thanks, Paul!  I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far.  I think I probably layered more different textures on this album than on any other, but I tried to make the transitions very subtle.  I got a little carried away with my layering in places, but hopefully not too much!

Forrest

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
To coincide with today’s formal release date for my new Projekt album, “The Sleepwalker’s Ocean,” I’d like to share these two recent pieces with you as a thank you for listening.

The first piece, “Chimera,” is an outtake from my recordings for this release. I left it off only because it didn’t seem to fit anywhere. The piece has elements that were composed at different times and were blended together much later. The second piece, “Arrow,” is a short experimental piece I recorded recently just for fun. It incorporates two instruments that date back to my childhood: a drum with a cardboard frame that my father helped me make in Indian Guides and a pair of maracas given to my family by a visiting exchange student. I’ve included a picture of them. Hope you enjoy the music.

https://soundcloud.com/forrest-fang

Forrest

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2016, 08:02:47 PM »
I found out today that my "Sleepwalker's Ocean" album made it to one of Keyboard magazine's Top 10 lists for 2016.  Very surprised and excited:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/miscellaneous/1265/keyboard-magazine-2016-top-10-album-lists/61193

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2016, 10:13:05 AM »
I found out today that my "Sleepwalker's Ocean" album made it to one of Keyboard magazine's Top 10 lists for 2016.  Very surprised and excited:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/miscellaneous/1265/keyboard-magazine-2016-top-10-album-lists/61193

Forrest

Congratulations.  What a nice christmas gift!
"Life is one big road, with lots of signs, so when you ride to the Roots, do not complicate your mind, ... "  Bob Marley

http://digitalvoices.bandcamp.com/
http://databloem.com

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »
Nice!

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2016, 02:49:14 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Hope that you and our Forum members are having a great Christmas holiday.

Forrest

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
Yes, congrats Forrest   8)
www.dataobscura.com
http://dataobscura.bandcamp.com
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2016, 05:24:05 AM »
Cool news Forrest. Always exciting to get such feedback.

Happy holidays  :)
"There are the unbiased and fleeting moments in music, which are eternal and imperishable."

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2016, 07:45:44 AM »
Well done Forrest, great news.