Author Topic: Where are they now? another edition  (Read 18938 times)

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: Where are they now? another edition
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 10:27:55 AM »
If I was sick in a hospice and Jeff Pearce appeared to play for me,
I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven!   ;D

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »

Martin's website is still active and has some sound samples of his more recent work which you can find here:

http://www.codetrip.net/

Thanks for the link.  I liked the two re-workings of Opening of the Earth.  The codetrip stuff isn't bad, but it sure ain't nothin' like Tuu, which isn't fair to compare, I know.  Also on his discography page there was an assemblage of artists called Stillpoint with Nick Parkin, Franklin, and a member of Lights in a Fat City.  Checking amazon's sound samples of Stillpoint's Maps Without Edges, I liked what I heard though I detected flute music from one track that they later used on Tuu's Mesh... not really a big deal in life though :)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »

Martin's website is still active and has some sound samples of his more recent work which you can find here:

http://www.codetrip.net/

Thanks for the link.  I liked the two re-workings of Opening of the Earth.  The codetrip stuff isn't bad, but it sure ain't nothin' like Tuu, which isn't fair to compare, I know.  Also on his discography page there was an assemblage of artists called Stillpoint with Nick Parkin, Franklin, and a member of Lights in a Fat City.  Checking amazon's sound samples of Stillpoint's Maps Without Edges, I liked what I heard though I detected flute music from one track that they later used on Tuu's Mesh... not really a big deal in life though :)

the stillpoint cd is actually quite good. it was available in two versions with some slight variances but it is still worth having.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

spunknik

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »
Whatever happened to Steve Roach? I haven't heard anything from him for at least an hour!

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 03:00:06 PM »
Steve may have taken up sleeping again.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
I think he's busy trying to find a new forum for the Fauni Gena people.  :P ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

uhurit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
Here's the ones I am wondering about....

- Mandible Chatter
- Ed Pias
- Ansuman Biswas
- Paul Schutze

None of them are strictly ambient, but....

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 06:59:15 PM »
What about Ma Ja Le? I thought they really hit their stride with Seed, but since then they've disappeared. Paul Vnuk and Chris Short used to post here frequently.

Last I heard from either one of them was Chris Short's excellent & surreal rumination on Paradise lost, The Garden. What a great disc!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 04:18:07 AM by Joe R »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 02:39:50 PM »
Thom Brennan's new album IS coming out soon, says Lloyd at Backroads.  But then again, it was coming out soon three months ago, so you never know...

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »
Not sure i wanted to start a new topic, so bought this one up...I was wondering, what happened to Todd Fletcher? i really enjoyed his releases and the one under the Psychetropic alias...His website has been down for sometimes now...Any news?

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
Fun this topic bubbled back up.   

Todd Fletcher - haven't seen anything of him in a long time.   

Ma Ja Le...  I know Paul Vnuk still posts here from time to time.   He played the City Skies festival in Atlanta this year - and plans to release that with AtmoWorks at some point.   Christ Short - I got an email from him a month or so ago.   

Thom Brennan's new album did in fact come out - hit his site.

Paul Schutze I've heard a bit about recently - but I forget exactly where I saw it.  He's releasing with someone.  (bad memory...yikes)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 02:58:20 PM »
Paul Schutze I've heard a bit about recently - but I forget exactly where I saw it.  He's releasing with someone.

He's due a release on Glacial Movements i think

Thom Brennan's new album did in fact come out - hit his site.

That last Thom Brennan didn't quite do it for me..i don't known, maybe the samples i've heard don't pay justice to it enough...Any reviews or comments on this one?

Ma Ja Le...  I know Paul Vnuk still posts here from time to time.   He played the City Skies festival in Atlanta this year - and plans to release that with AtmoWorks at some point.   Christ Short - I got an email from him a month or so ago

Would love to hear something new from these guys, if they still play together as Ma Ja Le...it's being a long time...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:04:14 PM by sio »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »
Re: Thom Brennan

I didn't even order the new Thom Brennan after hearing those samples.

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2008, 03:13:31 PM »
Nik Tyndall (Lagoon...a masterpiece...I still play mine sometimes)
A Produce (his last release was the 3-disc career retrospective)
Ruben Garcia (got a nice email from him after reviewing his career retro. CD; that was a few years ago)
Mychael Danna (I think he's only doing soundtracks now...probably pays a helluva lot better...North of Niagara was such a great release)
Meg Bowles (I think Meg's packed it in)
Jon Mark (I'd love something new from him but it's getting on near 10 years since his last one)
Dino Pacifici (I think Dee has hung it up as far as releasing his music goes; still hear from him sometimes)
Ashera (didn't care much for Sextant, but I loved Cobalt 144 and We Gaia)

probbaly a lot more that I'm not recalling right now...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »
Whatever happened to STEVE ROACH??? It's been TWO weeks since a new release...

But seriously now: VIDNA OBMANA.  I know about Fear Falls Burning.  Has Dirk given up space music for good? Doesn't post here anymore either. 

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »
I was also thinking about Nik Tyndall and A Produce.  By the way I see some imported cd's of Tyndall's from time to time.  Anyone know if they're good? 

Vidna:  Dirk said on this forum something to the effect that he had "said all he could say" as Vidna Obmana.  I believe the completion of the Opera series was his official retirement. 

There have been a lot of good Ambient one-hit wonders out there.  Some release on a big label and get what little airplay there is to offer. 

John, I liked Foy a lot... any news on them (him)?  there's something about crisp & clean, tranquil, ultra-modern ambient, the likes of Foy, Ishq, and Solarquest (Orgship, now that's an ambient one-cd wonder), that I really got into 'round a few years ago.   

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 09:41:38 PM »
I was also thinking about Nik Tyndall and A Produce.  By the way I see some imported cd's of Tyndall's from time to time.  Anyone know if they're good? 

(snip)

His collaborations with a guy named Anuvida, while a little on the new agey side, are pretty good. Anuvida plays a vaguely Asian sounding instrument, but Nik's synths sound very close to what he played on Lagoon. I don't think those are the imported ones you're referring to, though, as they are released on the US-based New Earth Records label. Those include Reiki Essence, which is their best effort IMO, and Reiki Healing Hands. Check out the sound clips here:
http://www.newearthrecords.com/web/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=53&idproduct=26

Amazon still has his older solo release Trance in Space available and that is a very good one - similar to the more floaty pieces on Lagoon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000G43E/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

deepspace

• View Profile
    • deepspace home page
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 11:47:29 PM »

But seriously now: VIDNA OBMANA.  I know about Fear Falls Burning.  Has Dirk given up space music for good? Doesn't post here anymore either. 

I think Vidna (Dirk) is now releasing music under his own name now: Dirk Serries.  From the short excerpt I heard, he seemed to be revisiting some of his older material, but this time with a guitar instead of a synth.  It sounded interesting, but I really miss his early 90's stuff, like River of Appearance, which I happen to think is one of the greatest ambient albums I've ever heard.  I sort of lost the connection with his music since that point.
Listen to deepspace here: http://deepspacehome.com

SiF

• View Profile
    • Martin Fuhs - Grauton
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 04:17:39 AM »
I would also like to hear new Vidna Stuff. I really love his Hypnos Releases,
especially his The Surreal Sanctuary and The Contemporary Nocturne.

Undershadow

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2008, 06:26:32 AM »

I think Vidna (Dirk) is now releasing music under his own name now: Dirk Serries.  From the short excerpt I heard, he seemed to be revisiting some of his older material, but this time with a guitar instead of a synth. 

No more stuff as Vidna Obmana was the statement from DS this year. New project microphonics sounds quite Frippertronic, and closer to the spirit of old VO than the somewhat grim-faced sludge peddled under the FFB moniker: http://www.myspace.com/mymicrophonics