Author Topic: Where are they now? another edition  (Read 18701 times)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Where are they now? another edition
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
I've got a dual entry:

Tuu?

What a great ambient/techno-tribal group.  Jim Brenholts posted a couple of their unreleased tracks and mentioned something about Martin Franklin last year, but it's lost in memory now.  Their music was on paper such an eclectic stew of weirdness, but they blended it perfectly:  conch shells, tibetan bowls... seems like every album had at least one track with strange, alien-like vocals.  Their blend wasn't just patchworked together either- it was really deep listening.  I miss those guys.

Which brings me to the next artist:

Terra Ambient/Jeffrey Kowal?

He used to post here all the time- great sense of humor, that guy.  I checked out lotuspike.com recently and no news update since June '07.   

Obviously I do not want to trivialize someone's absence if they have serious things to deal with in life.  Those things happen after all, and my intention of asking their whereabouts is more out of respect than just being nosy. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:15:39 PM by judd stephens »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Where are they now? another edition
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »
Tuu came up here not too long ago, and somebody knew what they (he?) had been up to, but I don't remember.

Jeff Kowal moved across the country around the time of the last lotuspike.com update and around the same time, I started having trouble getting more copies of their CDs to sell here, with the explanation that everyone was busy with "real life" and they'd get back to Lotuspike soon.  I hate to assume the worst, but it looks like they never picked it back up after Jeff moved.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Chad Hoefler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:17:29 AM »
Lotuspike is simply in a period of hibernation.  I can assure you that they have some interesting announcements to make in the near future.  As far as Jeff goes, he still seems to be chipping away at his new CD, Wanderlust, and he posted a track that materialized from its recording sessions on his myspace site.

sio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:29:59 AM »
What about Thom Brennan? A new album was announced for ages (About a year)on his website and then nothing...

GordonDanis

• "Because I had to get it all in"-John Coltrane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »
T.U.U. was, to quote Judd Stephens, "a perfect blend" of flutes and drums, earth and sky, "space" and reality.  All of their CDs are worth owning, along with a mini-CD; in fact the mini-CD, called The Frozen Lands on Amplexus, gives the listener a pretty good idea of what Martin Franklin is up to now: more synths and a glossier, somwhat "techno" sound, but the lovely dichotomy of T.U.U. is lost.  I believe the name stands for "Trans Urban Underground."

One of those Space For Music artists, Mason Stevens, who has a very unique "space/blues" sound shown to best effect on 2001's Lunar Waves, is putting together a new CD and searching for a new label.  Besides admittedly being a friend (Who said you can't ask the "Where are they now" question while knowing the answer?) I am always blown away by Mason's guitar playing.  Just remember, on the 1997 SFM ambient CD Cosmic Flight, William Linton and a pretty fair guitarist named Tony Gerber played synths, while Mason was the only musician who played guitar.

As for Anthony Asher Wright of Australia, I am an unabashed fan of all of his material, although I think Colour Glow and Enviro are his best works.  Last time I spoke to him, he was constructing a more rock-oriented piece, working in 5.1 surround sound, and learning all the possibilities inherent in his custom-built 12 string MIDI-guitar.  Domestic issues may have temporarily derailed him, but I'm sure he'll be back.

I DON"T know the answer to this one: Anyone hear from a guitarist/stick player, name of Pearce?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:54:53 PM by GordonDanis »
-gd

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:22:31 PM »
I DON"T know the answer to this one: Anyone hear from a guitarist/stick player, name of Pearce?

I heard from Jeff Pearce about a week ago.  He's doing fine, working on music, and well aware that people consider him "absent" now that his working methods have him completing an album about every 2-3 years.  He's definitely been working a more direct, clear-sounding, and composed style of music lately, than his Hypnos listeners are familiar with.  But in our last talk, Jeff did express an interest in doing some more atmostpheric or ambient work in the near future.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »
Yes - Jeff added a new track to the Terra Ambient MySpace page last December 2007
which is much more current than the last time I added a track to the dreamSTATE MySpace page.
OMG! Where am I now?

Bill Binkelman

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »

I heard from Jeff Pearce about a week ago.  He's doing fine, working on music, and well aware that people consider him "absent" now that his working methods have him completing an album about every 2-3 years.  He's definitely been working a more direct, clear-sounding, and composed style of music lately, than his Hypnos listeners are familiar with.  But in our last talk, Jeff did express an interest in doing some more atmostpheric or ambient work in the near future.

I'll ditto Mike here. I spoke with Jeff two weeks ago on the phone and he is at work on new music.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:40:40 PM by Bill Binkelman »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »
Tuu came up here not too long ago, and somebody knew what they (he?) had been up to, but I don't remember.

If I remember correctly it was Martin Franklin himself back on the last forum. I don't remember much of what he said at the time except for something along the lines of amusement that people were still interested in TUU. But I have to disagree with Gordon with his comment of The Frozen Lands being an example of his recent work, at least the little I have heard. True, it is more electronic but The Frozen Lands is much more ambient in nature then his more techno sounding works of late.

Martin's website is still active and has some sound samples of his more recent work which you can find here:

http://www.codetrip.net/
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

GordonDanis

• "Because I had to get it all in"-John Coltrane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
Loren, you are probably correct-The Frozen Lands, while not in classic T.U.U. sytle, DOES sound more ambient than what I recall of the sound samples he posted. I don't think there is any great mystery as to why people are still interested in T.U.U.-the music is still fresh and vital, and unlike so many, T.U.U. had a signature "sound" that I found both ethereal and grounded.

Check for a new book from the Indiana University Press in late 2008 called "You Know Where You Can Stick That Stick, Or My Life As Jeff Pearce's Neighbor."  Chapters include "I Just Came Over To Borrow Sugar And He Made Me Listen to AC/DC,"  "Harder Then Getting Into Neverland," and the heartbreaking "If He Makes Me Read That Damn High School Diary Once More...."  The author has currently sought protection and is thought to be living far, ar away.... :o
-gd

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 04:18:27 AM »
Yes - Jeff added a new track to the Terra Ambient MySpace page last December 2007
which is much more current than the last time I added a track to the dreamSTATE MySpace page.
OMG! Where am I now?

I don't know why - by that just made my day.  :)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 04:48:08 AM »
OMG! Where am I now?

LOL too  ;D

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:23 AM »

Sorry, Bill and Gordon- I like living in the woods, and I'm past the point of wanting neighbors in my life- unless those neighbors have teen-agers who would like to mow our yard, clean our gutters and baby-sit our kids!  :)

Although I've not released a cd for about three years now, I've kept busy with music- mine and others.  Last June I played a couple of shows in Sun Valley, ID with Will Ackerman.  I didn't announce it on this forum, because the show, and my music within the show, didn't exactly fall into what is generally accepted as "ambient" music.  And heaven forbid that I would have posted such an announcement on any space music or ambient forums on the net- moderators would have stepped in almost certainly ("don't show up in these parts with that melody thing- it ain't welcome here!") :)  This past year, I've also played on a couple of projects Mr. Ackerman was producing, as well as his most recent solo cd, which should be released by the fall, I'd think.  My latest ought to be out around then, and I'll post details on my website and myspace page when the time comes.

I've also spent some lately time playing a few shows locally- all of them for local charities.  I've recently been approached by a regional hospice about coming in and playing for the patients, which I'm completely into doing.  So I'm currently looking for a nice sounding, small sort of "PA with subwoofer" system to play these shows with- and inexpensive, since I will be playing these shows free of charge.  Yeah, I'm not asking too much from a PA, I know... :)  For those of you who've never been in one- well, a hospice can be a pretty somber place most of the time, and the patients are so appreciative of ANYONE taking time to just visit.

On top of that, I've been taking "long distance with aid of dsl and software" music/composition/improv lessons with a pianist named Philip Aaberg.  I do this about once a month, and he usually gives me enough to work on for a couple of months.  Phil used to record on windham hill in the mid-80's, and before that, he was a keyboard player in Peter Gabriel's band for a couple of tours.  Good guy, cool teacher, and embodies the philosophy of "if it sounds good, it IS good".  And, conversely, if it sounds BAD, no amount of psychological profiling (i/e "you don't like it because only deep people get the music") can make it sound better.

So that's where I "am now"- still following the original "philosophy" behind ambient music of letting things happen in their own time (as opposed to the current philosophy, which strikes me more as "I'm going to crank out this slow and patient music as fast as I can"  :)) There's a good chance that, in the future, I'll turn on the effects again and make music that is "hypnos forum poster" approved. :) until then, I'm more focused on turning the effects down a bit and listening to what's coming from ME, as opposed to my effects units.  I think a lot of ambient musicians would be surprised by what their music sounds like without all the black boxes/plug-in's.... :)

Jeff

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 07:24:28 AM »
Maybe I'm nuts... but I don't see any problem with non-ambient music or too-melodic music (what's that?) being posted about on this forum (at least I think we're fairly liberal in the music genre dept.).   

Feel free to post about any of your exploits... even if you decide to switch to speed metal or heaven forbid... a duran duran cover band.   :)
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 08:10:40 AM »
I've told Jeff several times that I think people here (and ambient music fans in general) would still be interested in his music even after it shifts away from all the atmosphere and thick layers of reverb... but he doesn't believe me!

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 08:42:59 AM »
I've believed not a word from you, Griffin, since you told me back in 1997 "hey, I'll be sending you one of my new cd's soon- it's called 'Fabrications'- ought to be out in a couple of months"  :)

I know that there's SOME overlap between the drift and non-drift crowds on here, and I've always been appreciative of the support and patience of those who follow what I'm doing.  It's probably just a reaction on my part, to stay as low profile as possible, due to the over-abundance of musicians EVERYWHERE on the net making seemingly hourly announcements regarding their concerts/recordings/dentists appointments/etc... a little too much static for my tastes, and I'd prefer to "say more with less".

....on the other hand, I COULD enlist the services of a webmaster type to post bulletins everywhere on my behalf, so I could honestly say "hey- I'M not doing it!"   ;D

Jeff

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »
.......AND- if this is a "where are they now?" thread- anyone know what Thomas Ronkin is up to?  I really enjoyed that first release of his, and the piece he had on the Other World comp......

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 08:59:10 AM »
I actually met Thomas Ronkin, around the time his 2nd album came out.  He was traveling through Portland for work -- he actually worked for the government as a translator.  We went to dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant and Thomas ordered a hamburger!

jblock

• View Profile
    • synthblock
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
That's something I would do but I ask for it in a taco shell!
Jonathan Block
www.synthblock.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
I actually met Thomas Ronkin, around the time his 2nd album came out.  He was traveling through Portland for work -- he actually worked for the government as a translator. 

The last I heard that's what he was/is doing. He and his family moved to Washington DC and is working full time as a government translator. For a while he was working a lot with Colin Powell until he got the boot, I actually saw him on TV a couple of times in the background. He travels a lot working with various heads of state from various nations. I understand he has a little studio in a briefcase he takes with him on his travels that he sets up in his hotel room and works on music. I would not be surprised if we hear more from Thomas in a few years.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell