Author Topic: Too much music?  (Read 6982 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Too much music?
« on: June 20, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
I have way too much music to actually have time to listen to yet keep piling on to my collection.  Is it possible to just stop buying (if not forced to for economic reasons)?  Am I alone here??

Bert/SonicImmersion.org

• View Profile
    • SonicImmersion.org
Re: Too much music?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:10:19 AM »
I fully understand the impact of this, being flushed by so much (promo)music as a reviewer for over 25 years; Listening to music should be comfortable & fun, never done under pressure or the incense one has to.

There's just no way to keep up with it all in a sensible manner nor keeping track on all that's happening out there;
I do the best I can, take it the way it is, never rush and only take things one step at the time...
Just my 2 cents.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 04:39:39 AM »
My music purchases have been steady for a while until recent....I have too much in that I list to an 1/8 th of my collection.  Grant new arrivals get top billing.  What is a concern for me is the physical space all these cds take up.  When I look at all that plastic it really turns me off.  It definitely has effected my purchasing.  Our Ambient community should be supported, needs to be....... and there are many wonderful releases coming out and older ones to be discovered.  Not easy!   Good thread Drone on!

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »
I feel you, for many years I was buying about 15-20 albums a month, which stopped abruptly a few months ago, now I only purchase something I really want.  I guess saving for a house means less money for music!  ::)

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
that's a good point bringing up.

when i see all that music/plastic piling up here, i feel pretty disgusted with myself..
i need to buy all the things i like.. and all that illegal file-sharing doesn't help either for me. more exposure that way means 'for me' more expenses, cause i simply want the original thing ! that's the problem i'm dealing with, why not being satisfied with a few releases now and then or inexpensive/free downloads..
i'm just 37, what does it look like in 10 years from now, 7000+ CDs at your place....??? is that something to be proud or feeling ashamed of ???
you can only look at it not even talking about playing it...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »
Ha! Yeah, sometimes I feel proud of my massive collection, but other times disgusted how much money I've spent over the years that could have gone to other things.  Plus, like I mentioned, just realizing how much of this stuff I've barely listened to.  I get something new, have a few good listens, then it goes on the shelf for a year or more sometimes because I'm constantly preoccupied with even newer releases that just keep rolling in.  It would be so much easier if there was only a few artists or labels that I liked (such as back in the mid 90's I was almost exclusively into Fax, Amplexus, and Steve Roach), but as my horizons have expanded, so has my pile of CD's.  ;)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 04:42:17 AM »
Hi guys, I am very glad to read there are more nuts like me out there...:-) I am 46 years old and I returned back to collecting ambient music in 2007, after 8-9 years of total silence. My initial idea was to buy about 30 of most fave CDs by artists like Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Michael Stearns, vidnaObmana..., whom I started to collect around 1995 when running a small mail-order catalogue. At that time I even sold my own copies, so in 2007 I started basically from point zero. But the whole situation somehow overgrown my plans, I didn't end at 30 CDs only and still keep on ordering and exploring new artists and buying each release of my fave artists (a very long list...). Who knows, maybe the economic reasons will force me to cut down my orders, hopefully this day is still faraway...  :) And yes, the pile of ordered CDs is always too big..., but I also always keep an eye on my mailbox for new beauties... :)

Keep on enjoyng and buying great music!!! ;)

Richard

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 07:13:36 AM »
I know the problem. I've been collection music for the last 10 years, and since I evolved from a narrow-headed metal fan to genres like metal, ambient, Berlin School, folk and neofolk, dub techno, classic and so on, the collection has been growing and growing and growing... Fortunately there's Discogs to manage the collection.
Financially there's no problem but spacewise, it's getting a bit difficult....
But I don't see a near end, I'm too much a music addict.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »
When I reached 700 CD titles, I got fed up with it. Started to sell everything. But before everything was sold I decided to keep some. So I still have a small collection 200 CDs. I think it was a good decision now that I only play flac-files anyway. I didn't need all that plastic.

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
Hi, my name is Paul and I am a music addict... :o

Ok, so seriously, even though every aspect of my professional life revolves around music...what do I do for a hobby? I collect music, and I am obsessively compulsive.

According to my iTunes, I have 1135 artists and 8325 albums...and yes most of them are legit purchased downloads and rips of my cd, album and sadly in a few places tape collection. (I will give a 10-15% variance if I am honest that I got some from friends along the way too). Here are some of my personal facts, maybe some of you can commiserate.
  • When I discover a new band or artist, be it someone new or even an obscure jazz artist from the 40's I will collect everything that they ever did and then aurally digest them in order of release. I will also get every biography I can find.

• I have always been into bootleg collecting so 2627 albums in my collection are a combination of live shows, studio outtakes and alternate and unreleased albums.

• Every album in my digital collection MUST have a cover! It must be the original cover from the original year of release. If it is a bootleg and does not have a cover, I will seek out live picks from that show and make one.

• 4-5 years ago I got into the Grateful Dead for the 1st time and now have as far as I know every existing and circulating soundboard show of theirs on existence both in FLAC and converted to AAC for use in my iPod. Anyway, I spent over a year creating covers for them all complete with actual shots of the show, posters and ticket stubs and then released them to the Dead trading community.

• I also collect traditional Jazz recordings and all of the above parameters apply even to the extent that when a box set comes out like "The Complete Columbia Recordings of..." I will take said box set and break it apart and sequence all of the music back into the original album releases and running orders, again complete with the original album cover. In other words I want to hear how someone would have experienced the 5 song 10" Nat King Cole or Charlie Parker album back when it was released, and not 3 takes of the same song right in a row.

• For rock albums, I will do the same thing especially with Best ofs and Greatest hits, in Itunes I split them back into their original albums even if its just 1 or 2 songs, then if I like those songs and think think the album good enough or historic enough I will use e-music, itunes or amazon to purchase the missing songs from said album.

• 7 years ago I ripped my entire CD collection (some 2000+ CDs) into iTunes, but unfortunately did so at 128...the then Itunes standard. Then my wife and I moved and my CDs went into storage. Now we have our own place again and I am in the middle of a big re-rip of my collection at 320 AAC and Apple Lossless if it is an album like Kind Of Blue, American Beauty, Dark Side Of The Moon etc where sound quality and historic significance are paramount to me.

And yes, according to iTunes it would take me 435 days to listen to it all end to end...so like many of you, it is too much.

Why do I do it?

• One as a musician, its like an author having an over stuffed library of books that they could not possibly re-read in a life time.
  • I like being able to hit random on a 1950's jazz mix or 1970's rock mix or a 1992-1998 mix of the golden era of space music.
  • I like knowing if I have a client who wants to sound like artist X in year ? at studio B I can find digest and try and replicate the sounds and techniques.

How do I afford my habit?
  • Well I used to work at CD and record stores for 5-6 years of my life and got a great discound...especially when I could buy used CDs and LPs fpr $1.
  • Now rather than buy a $5 latte, I would rather spend $5 on a download at amazon and e-music.
  • Also there are some great, creative and LEGAL ways! ;D Like Amazon offers daily and monthly deals at $5 or less. Many albums on e-music are similarly priced (and actually 4 years ago I was able to get jazz and ambient albums on e-music for $1 - $2 each before they wised up and went to a cash system VS a monetary one), sometimes on iTunes and Amazon they will miss long one or two track albums like many of Miles Davis 70's fusion classics and you can buy the individual songs for $1 each and so on...

So there you have it! I am an addict just like all'y'all!

PS now I struggle with the legal and moral ramifications of, "If I rip my CDs can I just sell them?" Of which the Law says no... also as hard drives get even cheaper will I some day want to re-rip them again at higher rates... and so forth.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
LOL!!! OMG, my obsessive compulsive music habit is nothing compared to your obsessive compulsive music habit.  ;D

What do you do with your "free" time??!!

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
This is a great subject.
There is too much out there so it requires some editing,wether that be because of finances,looking for the highest quality download and not finding it,not enough time to search out and listen,etc...
I let the artists in a way do the editing for me. How? Because after X album release ( I believe it to be 3 maybe 4) there is generally nothing new to offer. I am a big fan of Ultravox as a recent example. Rage in Eden from 1981 is my ALL time fav album. So you would think after their 4 th album,I would keep going.No,the music got boring. They just released a new one after 30 years apart,I did not get it,same old.
I read Santana just released his 36 th album,come on.Same goes for Roach,Alio Die,and more.And I really like the last two.
I used to buy in the day all FAX,got about 100, there was a label that you got something different.
Or a certain artist that does challenge you,such as David Sylvian or a label like Hyperdub.
As there is too much,I also only go to certain forums,like Hypnos,or read certain mags or online review sites or go to certain labels,like Kranky. I edit myself.
I still listen for new material every day somehow but my collecting has gone way down.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »
Wow, Paul!

For better or worse, I've never had the problem you all describe. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to budgets and I've limited myself to a maximum of one CD a week for about two decades. I fully vet anything I intend to buy and listen repeatedly to each release. The breath of my music exposure likely pales in comparison to most people here, but I like to think that I have an intimate connection to (almost) everything I own.

My sense of hearing (ironically, for a music fan) isn't great, so I can't tell the difference between the various formats that people discuss (e.g., 128 vs. 320). As a result, I've gradually moved from purchasing physical recordings to buying digital tracks on iTunes, bandcamp, etc.  The benefit of doing so is that I am able to recapture the pleasure that I used to get from walking into a record store, exploring the collections, and walking out with something I can listen to immediately. Now that I live in a small town with record stores that don't cater to my interests, I'd gladly sacrifice a bit of recording quality that I can't detect for instant gratification than use mailorder and wait a week or more for something a bit better.

ambient789

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »
Hi.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have my own story here:

Last fall, I sent a large box to Goodwill (for those that don't know - it's basically a business that operates thrift shops). I already had quite a few CD's in this box that I knew I wasn't going to be able to get rid of by selling. I also decided to check through some old cassette tapes. Dear God!!!!  :o While I quickly checked through a few of them, there were others that I just plain knew I didn't ever want to listen to again! I must have put at least 75 tapes in that box. That's not a big amount to some, but I was surprised at how my music taste had changed, even if it's slight. Some things didn't stand the test of time for me.

headonist -- I understand, I have approximately 900 Cd's now!!! I have to get rid of the ones I don't like anymore and watch how many I take on because I might be planning to move elsewhere in USA in two years. (City is picked out). This move depends on a lot of things, I can't leave immediately. So while I do plan to move a safe area, I must take into account available apartment space, crime etc. in new area. I may need some extra storage and renter's insurance anyway!! I don't know if I will be able to put the music on a server right now.

jdh --  I had 6 Cd's by a well known artist (who shall remain nameless here). I sold 4 and I'm keeping only two of them. I do see your point about artist's starting to sound the same after a number of releases, although it depends on if the artist finds a profitable "sound" to exploit and one's personal taste.

I will probably never get rid of my Robert Carty CD's. He varies his music a bit. Most of them are CD-R's too so they can't be sold anyway. Same with Oophoi, but for slightly different reasons.

The "housecleaning" continues...... :-\

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
Such a great thread, I can echo many of the sentiments here.

I think one of the thrills of being a collector, what originally got me into it, was the fun of the search, and the waiting for the package to arrive. Then when they do arrive, the ritual of the opening of the package, opening the albums, looking at all the goodies, playing the music in a reverie. So much fun to surf the net and get into darker and obscurer corners, finding all the labels, one leading to another, drinking in the mysterious atmosphere of far away labels. Buying the music gives one the feeling of a new world opening up, an actual place to explore. And the anticipation, one's imagination of what the release will be like, where it will take you.

I've never reached the collecting heights that many here have, my max collection was probably in the hundreds (maybe 300-500). But compared to my original intent of collecting, that is a massive amount. I originally thought I could get a "self sustaining" collection, a set number of classics that would allow me to rotate, not get bored, and come back around. Hermetically sealed, no new albums need to be bought. I thought this could be achieved in maybe 30-60 albums. But the thrill of the search drove me on.

There was a time a couple years ago when I realized I liked the search more than the finding, and wasn't actually listening or getting full enjoyment out of my collection. I would usually have a set of classics that I returned to again and again, the music I truly enjoyed. The rest would get those first few listens then go to sleep on the shelf. Of course there is the awesome sensation when you replay one that was almost lost deep in the collection and realize that it enters the classic cannon. But I ended up needing a cash infusion, which coincided with disillusion with the music, and the carefully amassed ambient and electronic collection got sold, virtually the whole thing, only a few being held back, and some strays which had been put to the computer. I held on to my world music collection (maybe 100 albums) because it has excellent replayability.

Now after some years I find myself missing the electronic and ambient, and a few releases trickle back in. Got some albums from Warp, which I never thought I would do again. Relatively recent ones from Autechre and Plaid. They are good beyond just the nostalgia trip I wanted to take.

One thing great (and possibly detrimental in some respects) about the current climate is the ability to get legitimate and free good music. I can have those same fun surfing sessions, explore the websites of labels, and bandcamp etc. And listen to a ton of stuff streaming. Then maybe download a token free track offered up by the labels/artists. Which takes the place of when I previously had to order the release, and have the exciting waiting period for the mail to come. In effect, the new way helps me to diffuse my music and collecting addiction. It's easier to be more discerning with purchases, but it also takes out the mystery and thrill, and chance taking, that made buying the physical album fun. And maybe I'm a more reserved music enjoyer now, not wide-eyed and expecting that next mind-blowing release. More jaded? I can agree that there needs to be more to please me these days than business as usual. The past few years have seen me buy 1-2 albums a year. But in the past few weeks I've got 3 albums by Autechre and 2 by Plaid. The collector daemon returns, however weakly. This time I think I can enjoy the thrill of the search without having to buy every time.

But just writing about it here makes me want to go on a music search and surf...damnit.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:57:56 PM by 9dragons »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:15:07 AM »
I am really sick.  I have 2 billion cd's and it's not enough (and I don't have time to listen to even a fraction of it).   :'(

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
While I was in college, I was obsessive about music but only had enough money to buy a few CDs per month. I listened to these obsessively, studied the liner notes, and at the UO library read all the music magazines I could get my hands on.

My crazy collector days probably started after I got out of college in 1989. I started to get carried away with the mindset others have mentioned here, collecting for the sake of completion, the goal being the elimination of gaps in the collection. Once I decided I loved Japan or New Order or Kraftwerk, I had to have everything. It wasn't enough to have the domestic albums CD singles. I had to have the import variations, especially if even a single track was different.

When my interests drifted more and more toward ambient music and electronica, I had a lot of catching up to do. It's hard to fill out a collection in a hurry. It takes time! For several years I pursued that, but before long I started Hypnos, and that changed my mentality about CD collecting. I became much more focused on the music the label was releasing, and began receiving much more music intended as demos for the Hypnos label or promos for the Hypnos store that I kind of lost the habit of going to CD stores.

I do miss those days, though, browsing through Tower or some of the local indie shops in Portland and Eugene and Seattle .
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

configX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
Just recently I started getting a bit obsessive about collecting music. One of the things that started it was Bandcamp. There is WAY too much good music on there. I like the user experience too.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »
Did somebody tell you guys that you had to become museum curators? Did you feel some sort of need to support the music industry? Are you going to start a radio station?

If you have a huge CD collection that's any good then it should be worth repeated listenings, and that means you don't need to buy more music, just chew on what you have.  It should sustain you for the rest of your life. If you just listen to it once then its disposable.

A lesson in consciousness - 

The first level is - is everything ok? Do I have enough?
The second level is - who has the power? Who is top dog?

I can see from this syndrome that all of you are stuck in these two areas instead of enjoying the higher levels of bliss from the music itself. Its good to "zoom out" from time to time and take a look at yourself.  You might even try picking up an instrument and learning how to play it and maybe even creating some music yourself. I just spent over four months learning how to play a classical guitar piece by ear in my spare time. Didn't buy one CD.
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

headonist

• trawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:36 AM »
It's not up to you to decide how much bliss we experience through music. Next lesson please :)