Author Topic: My review of "Slow Dream" CD by Loren Nerell  (Read 523 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Slow Dream" CD by Loren Nerell
« on: June 21, 2012, 02:48:34 AM »

Loren Nerell "Slow Dream" CD

In Long Beach, California, based composer and ethnomusicologist, Loren Nerell, is known as avid admirer of Indonesian native styles of gamelan music. His location recordings from trips to Bali and Java, which document everyday's life and events, are again utilized and processed into deeply meditative stream of drones, released as Loren's 7th full length recording, but this time as a premiere album on Projekt, where he joins his fellow traveller Steve Roach, who has added his mastering wizardy to "Slow Dream". Opening long-form "Mentation" clocks to nearly 29 minutes with serene, slow-motion endlessly drifting and soothingly circling resonant cloudscapes. It creates strongly meditative states that graciously float between the waking and sleep, between the sound and silence. The title, 10 and half minutes long composition "Slow Dream" dives straightly into chasmal mammoth drone realms strenghtened by various subterranean rumblings and otherworldly tinkles and outbursts. Gentle and remote tribal beats blanketed by fog join the stage too and invite the listener on a deeply sonorous and immersing journey. "A Sense Of Presence", another longer composition, remains in shadowy, rather dissonant and nearly transcendental domains with gradually expanding heavy drone zones and assorted background unsettling sonic tremors. All subterranean ghosts are awaken by this deeply cavernous adventure. "Persistence Of Dream Imagery", as indicated by its title, is tranquilly sculpted dronespace with few occasional industrial noises thrown in and highly mesmerizing meditative piece that brings "Slow Dream" into the conclusion. "Slow Dream" is skillfully crafted recording of immensely subterranean atmospheres originated of various gamelans, powerfully evocative and magically transporting!!! A must have for all explorers of mysteriously alluring sonic escapades!!! 4-panel eco disc wallet with cover images by Thierry Moreau and graphic design by Sam Rosenthal precisely interplay with the sonic content.

Richard Gürtler (Jun 21, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)