Author Topic: Drone On's review of "Long Distances" CD by Keller & Schonwalder  (Read 450 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Released late 2011 on Manikin Records, but just making the rounds here in the states via local distributors and iTunes, "Long Distances" has been on my "highly anticipated" list for quite some time now.  I must admit I was pretty disappointed by the time the laser finally hit the CD, though.  These two composers, Detlef Keller and Mario Schonwalder, are real icons in the German post-70's EM scene.  They have done some absolutely fantastic productions, with their brand of Berlin school/Klaus Schulze influenced sequencing meets modern day ambient atmospheres.  "Long Distances" is what we'd expect of them:  long tracks full of Schulzian choral voices, atmospheric synths, and the like.  Unfortunately, this release, quality wise, seems to me really rushed and somewhat sloppy, from the very nonspecific recording dates (the liner notes state two of the three tracks were recorded "some years ago," and another track was recorded "live" although it doesn't state the year) to the ho-hum sound quality (including quite a few glitches throughout).  You almost get the feeling the label just wanted to get something out on the market in a hurry and chose some old tapes from a box!  So for all we know, this music could have been recorded in 1988 as opposed to 2008.  The music in general is pretty typical K&S, and in fact is similar to Klaus Schulze's work of the last years, and nothing really innovative or special.  I would recommend "Long Distances" to completists only. 

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Drone On's review of "Long Distances" CD by Keller & Schonwalder
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
I forgot to add in my review above, there are errors in track times:  Track 1, "Long Distances", at 26:33, actually ends about 40 seconds prior to the stated time.  Tracks 2 (Metropolis, 41:11) and 3 (September Moods, 7:10) are correct, or at least I didn't notice them being off.   8)