Author Topic: My review of "Hymn" CD by Juta Takahashi  (Read 1055 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Hymn" CD by Juta Takahashi
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:27 AM »

Juta Takahashi "Hymn" CD

"Hymn" is the 7th album by Japanese ambient maestro Jutaro "Juta" Takahashi (based in Sendai, Miyagi), released in January, 2010, on his own label Lunisolar Records. Just the same as with his "Silence" CD, reviewed some weeks ago, "Hymn" CD gets immediately extra points for its stunning front cover image featuring the famous 2006 Hubble Space Telescope color mosaic of the Orion Nebula. The album is made up of three longer compositions, each clocking around 20 minutes. "Stratosphere" unfolds this odyssey with gracefully heartfelt and endlessly floating, slow-motion drifts, fragranced with delicately fragile, but expressively fitting strings. This solitary ambience transports each listener into the deep realms of space. The next composition "Faraway" moves into slightly more minimal and meditative realms sculpted with nearly hallucinogenic washes, serenely cascading from slightly dissonant, "buzzing" sounds to more silent, poetic passages, carefully exploring gracious beauty of immense outer reaches of space, and accomplishing deep synergy between the music and its title. The title composition "Hymn" is immediately invaded by celestial choir-like sounds and returns to more drifting territories explored through the first track, but this time diffusing much more monumentally into tense symphonious atmospheres, reaching strongly cinematic feel of breathtaking adventure and glorious beauty. These slowly expanding and triumphant soundwalls are here and there enriched by luminously euphoric fragments and swirls. Definitely one of the most magnificent and colossal soundscapes Juta has ever done and a truly grandiose conclusion of this profoundly wonderful album, where all three lengthy pieces are powerfully expansive and quietly immersing!!! A tremendously fascinating star gazing odyssey precisely interacting with the cover image!!! Arigatō, Juta!!!

Richard Gürtler (Jun 23, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

Juta Takahashi

• View Profile
    • Juta Takahashi | Official Website
Re: My review of "Hymn" CD by Juta Takahashi
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Many thanks for reviewing, Richard. :D
I'm most grateful for it.
Thanks again for your devoted support.

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »
Great pleasure on my side too, Juta!!!  :)

Richard

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
Nice review, Richard.  I agree, Juta's Hymn and Silence are both nice discs.

Forrest

Juta Takahashi

• View Profile
    • Juta Takahashi | Official Website
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »
Thank you very much, Forrest.  :)