Author Topic: The Quiet Sounds Podcast  (Read 25668 times)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
The Quiet Sounds Podcast
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:30:11 AM »
Not sure if I've ever plugged my little project here on the Forum before.  Well, anyway, I've been doing ambient podcasts since 2005, and I figure if the people of any place will enjoy them it's you guys.  I've done eighteen episodes so far, all certainly music that will appeal to the "typical" Hypnos-phile.

http://www.asphalteden.com

Newest episode features underrated and obscure ambient tracks, with some by Hypnos and related artists.  Thanks for looking!

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: The Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:40:57 AM »
I've really enjoyed your podcasts, Brian, especially since you add commentary about the tracks you're playing.  It's a great way to discover new music.

I'm also pleased to see my friend (and Hypnos artist) David Tollefson on your playlist.  I'm hoping the upcoming new Viridian Sun material will get people a little more interested in his solo work.

Thanks for posting... I'm downloading this now and will give a listen later today.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Undershadow

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:23:30 AM »
I've appreciated Brian's Quiet Sounds mixes too. I note, among a few of my faves in there (Kiln's Thermals, Paul Bradley's Chroma, Shuttle358's Chessa) there's a CELER track in there.
FYI, there's a new album coming out "soon" on Infraction - entitled Discourses of the Withered. Look out for it - Jason@Infraction has been drooling over it (should make for interesting packaging ;))

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »
Thank you, guys.

It's a real head scratcher to me about Tollefson.  Do people just think he has a weird name or what?  Maybe some folks will hear his track (I have 66 listeners according to Last.FM alone—god knows who these people are) and be inclined to explore further, especially since he seems to have presaged the ambient-guitar craze of the last year or three.

No commentary on this new one—just a little experiment with a subtle vocal overdub to intro and outro the broadcast.  I'll do something more substantial next time.

I found out about Celer on LiveJournal, believe it or not.  The duo are on my friends list (and what a cute couple they make) and so I checked out their music, which is quite nice.  They're prolific and CDR only, which makes it impossible for me to keep up with them, but there's a lot of potential there for awesome music.  Their song and album titles make one think they might be Italian.  ;)  Looking forward to their Infraction venture.

Undershadow

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »

Re: Tollefson, I dunno, Brian. You’re right about his presaging of the recent ambient guitar + FX trend. Prompted by your track, I just dug out his 2nd Hypnos album, Near and Far (1999!), and the first track “Field of Blackbirds” blows away a lot of these latecomers to the stretched-out ambient guitar table, not to mention patching beautifully into a post-GYBE!/Mogwai post-rock area that subtracts all the overblown rockist bombast, and leaves you with essence of guitar. Problem is that the rest of the album is spotty. The earlier New Eyes on the Universe has a few more tracks going for it, including your track, which is a beauty, but then again half of it is... I dunno... not that great, with the greatness of the other stuff in mind. Time for a comeback, with better quality control.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 08:13:59 AM »
I generally like the Tollefson CDs from start to finish.  At worst, I think some of the tracks are merely indistinct.  Surely not an uncommon issue in the annals of ambient albums.  ;)

I do think variety is a strength of the discs.  Each track is pretty different and few of them seem to go on for too long.  I'm getting tired of ambient CDs with three or four marathon tracks (always notable exceptions, of course), so it's nice to have that diversity.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for this latest mix!  I listened to it a couple of times a work, excellent stuff.

Somehow I missed podcast #16 so I just finished listening to that as well.  Your intro was great, helped me appreciate was I was about to hear.  Even with all the mentions on the forum I'd never gotten around to listening to any Tonto music.  Now I'll have to seek some out.

Infraction

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
I found out about Celer on LiveJournal, believe it or not.  The duo are on my friends list (and what a cute couple they make) and so I checked out their music, which is quite nice.  They're prolific and CDR only, which makes it impossible for me to keep up with them, but there's a lot of potential there for awesome music.  Their song and album titles make one think they might be Italian.  ;)  Looking forward to their Infraction venture.

They're not Italian - they reside in California...but the prolific part is very accurate.  I can hardly keep up with listening to all the stuff they've recorded.  The disc we're working on right now "Discourses of the Withered" and it should be ready to go in May.  We're going to pair it up with a bonus CDR (with the first 100 copies of 'discourses...') of source material and reworkings of tracks from around the time they were recording it.  Just getting the artwork finalized now.

If you're not familiar with Celer - it's a husband and wife duo, that work primarily with strings.  Violin, cello, viola are played by Danielle and then looped, layered, edited and reworked by Will.  This will be their first properly pressed disc, after dozens of handmade CDR discs they've released on their own.  I know they also have a collab. due out on Spekk (with Mathieu Ruhlmann) and a disc on and/oar's sublabel - both sometime this year.

Jason
infractionrecords.com

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
New episode for downloading, "Moss Dance" ... enjoy:

http://www.asphalteden.com/?p=20

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:16:33 AM »
Looking forward to listening at work, then on the deck this evening.  Thanks.

solyaris

Re: The Quiet Sounds Podcast - David Tollefson ?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:06:52 AM »

Re: Tollefson, I dunno, Brian. You’re right about his presaging of the recent ambient guitar + FX trend. Prompted by your track, I just dug out his 2nd Hypnos album, Near and Far (1999!), and the first track “Field of Blackbirds” blows away a lot of these latecomers to the stretched-out ambient guitar table, not to mention patching beautifully into a post-GYBE!/Mogwai post-rock area that subtracts all the overblown rockist bombast, and leaves you with essence of guitar. Problem is that the rest of the album is spotty. The earlier New Eyes on the Universe has a few more tracks going for it, including your track, which is a beauty, but then again half of it is... I dunno... not that great, with the greatness of the other stuff in mind. Time for a comeback, with better quality control.

for Brian:
of course we know yuor podcasts! always beatiful mix I thank you again! :)

About David Tollefson:
Honestly, I do not think he have been a precursor on ambient-guitar! at least not at levels of great Jeff Pearce (to mention a Hypnos artist) and please do not forget the master of works Robert Rich ;)

Nevertheless; I bought from Mike Griffin ALL David's works solo and both with Viridian Sun project, honestly preferring solo works.

Indeed, I agree with you Undershadow: "Near and Far" and "New Eyes on the Universe"  have been great works, they contains some jewels moments here and there but there are also not good noise moments of that you wrightly call "guitar +FX" that fall in rock-guitar-man-routine ... spotty .. yes :(

That's a pity becuase I feel David is a promise of a possible great artist; I do not have any news about him since some years; I also asked in this forum but no answer a part some sneering words ... ?! :(

giorgio

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:43 AM »
I know David Tollefson very well, and I know he wouldn't put himself forward as any kind of progenitor of guitar-based ambient music.  But I also know that Brian is well aware of Pearce and Fripp and Robert Rich, and suspect that he wasn't talking about guitar-based ambient in general, but edgier, the more rock-influenced, distortion-tinged guitar ambient that has become more popular in the past few years.

He is still very active in music, most recently playing in the group Paint + Copter that can be seen playing around Portland fairly regularly.  In fact, that group's sound has evolved over the years away from more overt rock sounds, into more of a psychedelic ambient with percussion.  They have a couple of CDs about to be released in fact.

Also Dave and I just finished a new Viridian Sun album, which has a more organic sound (no synthesizers this time, just treated and looped guitar and bass) and should be released this fall.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of another Tollefson solo album at some point, especially if there is a good response to the Viridian Sun album.

[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

solyaris

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:09 AM »
...he wasn't talking about guitar-based ambient in general, but edgier, the more rock-influenced, distortion-tinged guitar ambient that has become more popular in the past few years.

Yes .. sorry for the fussiness, but also in this area masters at work are (have been) Windy & Carl! specifically the guitar style of Carl Hultgren's fit exactly yuor definition "rock-influenced, distortion-tinged guitar ambient" and he's have been copied by so many guys! (among these myself! ;)) that never achieved teh beauty of of Carl's soundscapes...

giorgio 

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:46:41 AM by solyaris »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »
Yes, and Tollefson and I are big fans of Windy & Carl too.  In fact, we went to one of their shows in Portland some years ago, and I guess Dave knew them beforehand, because we talked to them after the show and they were very nice, very normal people.  Not long after, they released a new album with a track called "Hypnos" but I don't know if that was just a coincidence, or if they remembered talking to me and remembered the name.

solyaris

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »
Yes, and Tollefson and I are big fans of Windy & Carl too.  In fact, we went to one of their shows in Portland some years ago, and I guess Dave knew them beforehand, because we talked to them after the show and they were very nice, very normal people.  Not long after, they released a new album with a track called "Hypnos" but I don't know if that was just a coincidence, or if they remembered talking to me and remembered the name.

you see ... :)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 06:36:30 AM »
New episode up ...

http://www.asphalteden.com

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 06:47:07 AM »
Just wanted to alert that I uploaded a new episode recently; some of my favorites from 2008:

http://www.asphalteden.com/?p=27

Also still up is the previous episode: "IDM: Indolent Dance Music":

http://www.asphalteden.com/?p=25

And there was a very kind article in public radio's Sound of Young America blog this weekend regarding the Quiet Sounds:

http://www.maximumfun.org/blog/2009/01/podthoughts-by-colin-marshall-quiet.html

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »
downloading now...looks like excellent.

r l e o n

• View Profile
    • The Hydrogen Cafe
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
Brian,

Are your podcasts available through iTunes? I did a search but did not find the Quiet Sounds.

Rick
All human beings are also dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together.
-Jack Kerouac

Sighthound

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 05:37:41 AM »
Try asphalteden.com