Author Topic: The Quiet Sounds Podcast  (Read 25742 times)

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »
Brian, just had to say how much I am enjoying your podcasts. Wish I would have delved into them earlier. I'm going through the past ten or so right now. Your taste in music is impeccable. I am especially enjoying the last two "best of the year" casts. Almost feel like I want to just write down everything on your list and get it based on what I heard on the podcasts. There is an interesting caveat though. As I am getting a sense for the realm of music that I think interests you most, which is, perhaps, the middle ground between psych-pop and ambient (my genre awareness is quite muddled), I am trying to discern the real, core difference between artists like Tim Hecker and Steve Roach. Is is the sensibility (one being urban/modern/industrial, the other spiritual/archaic) the sound pallete used, or the intended audience? I used to be a big fan of Tim Hecker, and laptop ambient ala 12k, but something about getting into Roach/Vidna/Rich/Alio Die made me turn away somewhat from these other artists, which at the time I considered to be too modern sounding, too tied to a modern sensibility. Now, reinspired by your podcasts, I am moving back the other way, maybe finding balance, and feeling more ready to embrace a wider spectrum of sounds again. That said, I am still hesitant to get anything by Hecker again, though I am awed by the songs you feature. I am wondering whether the music is more pop oriented, and designed to lure in the listener more easily. But again, what we could call modern minded music is more instantly appealing, and more pleasurable on the surface, more satisfying somehow. There is something about the format of the podcast, perhaps it's the juxtaposition of the different songs, or the live sensation of the format, that gives it a sense of wonder and discovery. Your editing skills and placement of songs is masterful. Anyway, these are just some meandering thoughts, thanks again for your work.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »
I'm so glad you're enjoying the 'casts, because I really do enjoy finding the records (I guess it is a curator impulse in me), and putting them all together.

It's funny that you make mention of the Hecker/Roach thing, and I think for a lot of listeners it is a matter of how they approach the music.  My theory is this: Because Steve Roach came out of a more "new age" (in the derogatory sense, though I find a lot to like in quite a bit of new age stuff), people do not feel as comfortable approaching him because he did not come out of a "cool" scene like Tim Hecker, who got his start doing minimal techno.  However, whenever I play newer Steve Roach (or pick a similar artist) to people who come out from an ambient/techno listening experience, they almost always like it.  The tribal stuff is a little more specialized, I suppose.  It's just not everybody's cup of tea.  I have also seen Hecker get a lot of crossover from the fans of dronier metal and people who like noise music, too.

I think what bugs me a little is that guys like Hecker (deservedly) get a lot of press about their music in more "cool" places, while perfectly good artists who we know and love on places like this forum (Forrest, or Alio Die, as examples), don't get the same kind of treatment because they're assumed to be the kind of artists you might hear in day spas or hippie retreats.  And, of course, you might, but I also think something like Dynamic Stillness isn't being done by a lot of artists out there and could possibly have more audience crossover (into the kinds of people who like Hecker, for instance) than it's currently getting.

Anyhow, thanks for listening, as always.  When I first got into music, I liked a lot of post-punk, synth pop, techno, and goth/industrial as a teenager.  I discovered dreampop and shoegaze, then gradually moved into stuff that was further afield like krautrock, psych, and ambient.  But I like it all.  ;)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
One interesting thing I have noticed, that I meant to type, is that there is a loose scene (at least here on the east coast in NYC and certainly Portland), of hippie bearded weirdos doing electronic music in a very 80s style.  It seems to have branched out of the whole fried psych-folk thing, and it's pretty cool. I'm thinking of groups like White Rainbow, Oneohtrix Point Never and the like ... and they are definitely all over the early 80s ambient stuff that Stearns and Roach were doing.  So I guess there's crossover in strange places, and you never know what's going to resonate with who.

Celer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
Thanks for including Celer in the podcast Brian! :)

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
I often forget to post my own projects here, even though I'm on the forum all the darned time!

My latest, Quiet Sounds 28, is all about the mysterious genre of Hauntology ... the eerie and whimsical sound of aged and ageless BBC electronic music and television, now with a decidedly modern (and twisted) twist by today’s strangest artists, plus one orgy.

http://www.asphalteden.com/?p=51

Download and let me know what you think!

Tracklisting:
1. “In Your Own Time” by Moon Wiring Club from Shoes Off and Chairs Away (Gecophonic)
2. “Main Titles” by John Gale from Dr. Phibes Rises Again! soundtrack (Perseverance)
3. “Rosy Retrospection” by The Caretaker from Persistent Repetition of Phrases (Install)
4. “Melancholia VIII” by William Basinski from Melancholia (2062)
5. “Grey Water” by Tor Lundvall from Empty City (Strange Fortune)
6. “Amoeba” by Woob from Woob (Em:t)
7. “Hotel Freund” by Black to Comm from Alphabet 1968 (Type)
8. “Warp/Warpable” by Deathprod from Nordheim Transformed (Rune Grammofon)
9. “Ten Years or Twenty” by Moon Wiring Club from Shoes Off and Chairs Away (Gecophonic)
10. “The Willows” by Belbury Poly from The Willows (Ghost Box)
11. “The New Mobility” by Belbury Poly from The Owl’s Map (Ghost Box)
12. “Dead Eyes Opened” by Severed Heads from ComMerz (LTM)
13. “The Devil Is in the Details” by Boards of Canada from Geogaddi (Warp)
14. “New Trumpets of Time” by Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti from Lover Boy (Ballbearings Pinatas)
15. “Secret Admirer” by Freescha from Head Warlock Double Stare (Attack 9)
16. “My Game of Loving” by White Noise from An Electric Storm (Island)
17. “Salty Sun Tales” by The Focus Group from We Are All Pan’s People (Ghost Box)
18. “They Are in the Room with Us Right Now” by Roj from The Transactional Dharma of Roj (Ghost Box)
19. “Man” by Edward Williams from Life on Earth (Trunk)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
Brian - you have not posted track start times.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
That was intentional!  ;)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
Very much enjoyed 90% of this set.
Nice flow, lots of interesting pieces I 'd not heard before.
Still need those track times.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2010, 07:03:35 AM »
Back by popular demand ... The Quiet Sounds:

http://www.asphalteden.com/?p=59

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
Excellent!  Really enjoying this.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

New QS up at the site now, and it features some of my faves from 2010:

http://www.asphalteden.com

B

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 05:53:48 AM »
Right onto the iPod for today's work-listen. Thank you!
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 07:45:02 AM »
Excellent!  A bunch of stuff that I hadn't heard before.  Thanks.

Brian Bieniowski

• View Profile
    • Quiet Sounds Podcast
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »
Hey guys!

I know I've been terrible at making new podcasts for Quiet Sounds (and it didn't help that my Wordpress installation got hacked).  But I got my act together and put a new one up last night.  This one features all kinds of ambient tracks with vocals (I had so much interesting material I had to omit some of it).  Have a listen when you get a chance!

http://www.asphalteden.com/?p=97

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 05:37:18 PM »
Excellent!

9dragons

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
Revisiting some previous Quiet Sounds podcasts that I have stashed, and am enjoying them very much. I went back to your site, thinking, I have to download all the Quiet Sounds right now! and find that none of the links work. Is this due to the nefarious hacking that happened previously? I can only seem to download the most recent episode (and can't wait to hear it!). Again, thanks so much for this exquisite work...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
The links still work for me, 9dragons. Maybe try a different browser?

BTW, I agree BB's podcasts are top-notch. Nice to see a track from Echoes of Polyhymnia on the latest!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

patternsintheivy

• View Profile
    • Patterns in the Ivy
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2012, 05:16:51 AM »
Really enjoying 32: Vocal Motion right now, really beautiful music.  :'(

Do you allow submissions from artists?