Author Topic: My review of "Maitreya - The Future Buddha" CD by David Parsons  (Read 1176 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop

David Parsons "Maitreya - The Future Buddha" CD

In New Zealand based sonic magician and famed doyen of ambient scene, David Parsons, has released "Maitreya - The Future Buddha" album back in 2002 on Celestial Harmonies as his 8th album. Even if 10 years passed already, this album will always remain as one of his most meditative and spectacular sonic pearls, magnificently portraying his strong interest and inspiration by Hinduism and Buddhism. Equipped with huge experiences during his extensive Middle and Far East travels documenting and recording musical traditions of these regions, David Parsons explores through his enormously sophisticated soundscapes the pure and striking beauty of remote and fascinating realms surrounded by massive snow-capped mountains and green valleys. Gongs and bells with low drones open "Abhisekha", but soon chants of Tibetan monks steal the journey for absolutely immersing listening experience, a truly magnificent intro!!! It overlaps graciously into the next piece entitled "Mani", where mysterious drones are masterfully crossed with monk chants, marching percussions and swirling effects. Total immersion continues and pure sonic ecstasy is accomplished when sort of cyber electronics join the stage in stunning synergy with the drones. My jaw drops everytime I listen to this 10 and half minutes long masterpiece, an ultimate Hall of Fame composition!!! Thank you, Mr. David Parsons!!! Stringed wizardry invade "Tirtha", a magically transporting journey, crossed with tranquil washes and monks' prayers. Another highlight!!! Low drones lead "Realm Of The Hungry Ghost" and navigate it into deeply cinematic soundscapes, enriched by assorted eerie sounds and thrillingly expressive Tuva-style throat singing. Gorgeously mysterious realms are awaiting!!! Prayer chants with serene, but highly visualizing and expansive washes are featured on "Under The Bodhi Tree" while the next composition with its deep and rumbling, at times dissonant drones explore hidden kingdom of fabulous "Shambhala". "Maitreya", the title piece closes this absolutely enthralling journey with throat singing, various meditative chants and female voice magics, dense chasmal drones, gongs, bells and other percussive rumbles and tinkles. Deeply contemplative and captivating prayerscape!!! "Maitreya - The Future Buddha" is certainly one of the milestones in David Parsons' stellar discography, sonic impressions of a true virtuoso, a must have!!! Back to the presence, David Parsons' last masterwork "Akash" is dated back in 2010, so I can't wait to explore his next breathtaking travelogue.

Richard Gürtler (Aug 18, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)