Author Topic: Darkened Soul  (Read 9135 times)

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Darkened Soul
« on: December 09, 2007, 03:54:32 PM »
Well here we are again with a new forum! Yay.....!  Anyways, started working on some new Darkened Soul material and a Mired In Twilight material. I have a short intro track for that project and a 7+min track for DS. I am going to probably start working to get a full length for both projects so I can have some new releases in the near future (next year most likely by the time I get both of them done).

I have artwork being printed up at a local Kinko's so I can list the split between Darkened Soul and Fearsore for purchase off my website. I'm also getting inserts done for both of my first two releases so they'll look more professional (hopefully!) and just make them up on an as-needed basis. The DS releases are listed off my Store page from my website and hopefully it's working as I expect it to.

I figured it'd be easier to have one thread for both my projects and not cluster up the forum ;-)

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
Re: Darkened Soul
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »
My first release is available for download at last.fm as well as here http://www.earthmantra.com/ and of course off my website under downloads section (have to register..sorry!).

Mike

MarkJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 03:53:45 PM »
Hi Mike,

I just downloaded 'Dreamscapes' - thanks for making your music available for free download. I admit, I'm not generally a fan of dark ambient, but your music avoids whatever it is that I don't like about it. Maybe 'Dreamscapes' will help me define what I don't like about the subgenre by showing me what's good about it. I'm only a few tracks in right now, but I like it.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 07:20:33 PM »
Hi Mike,

I just downloaded 'Dreamscapes' - thanks for making your music available for free download. I admit, I'm not generally a fan of dark ambient, but your music avoids whatever it is that I don't like about it. Maybe 'Dreamscapes' will help me define what I don't like about the subgenre by showing me what's good about it. I'm only a few tracks in right now, but I like it.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the kind words. Seasons of Dark and Light is probably similar to Dreamscapes with respect to not REALLY dark, it has some nice light moments on it.   I haven't gone as dark as I want to with DS yet along the lines of Desiderii Marghinis, Yen Pox, and the like. I love the dark ambient stuff I've heard/came across. Some of these guys are really talented with regards to getting the atmosphere/aura/thoughts across on it.  I also really like the first Sephiroth release, Catherdon, it's fantastic. Another good really dark one is Jonathan (forget last name atm) Hollow Earth - Dog Days of the Holocaust and his new project Angel of Decay. Also New Risen Throne (CMI) is really cool stuff.

But I'm also a fan of martial stuff like Coph Nia, Triarii, Scontrum releases, War Office Propaganda stuff and the like.  My new project is moving more in that vein but not specifically the german style commentary stuff in a lot of it (arditi, etc...).

Mike

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
i am listening to mike's sorta collab with fearsore - absence of absolutes and it is a great cd! it has all of mike's signature dark drones and deep atmospheres. i am not familiar with wiley wells but would like to find more of his stuff.
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »
i am listening to mike's sorta collab with fearsore - absence of absolutes and it is a great cd! it has all of mike's signature dark drones and deep atmospheres. i am not familiar with wiley wells but would like to find more of his stuff.

Well, you can check out what he has over at www.myspace.com/fearsore to see if he has anything new(er) posted there. I don't think he's got a regular website like a lot of us do.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »
I've got 2 new tracks done and a 3rd that I may rename to fit the way I am naming the tracks (using english to greek translator to find closest match). So far about 25 mins with the 3 tracks. I need to work on at the minimum 3-5 more tracks so I can get up to at least an hours worth (preferably longer) of music to have a new release soon. No timeframe at this point. I should probably start thinking of a title for it as well as thinking about the artwork. I should also go revisit Abyss to see if I can salvage what's done and either add to it or do a total rework of it. I'd wanted to do 2 long tracks for what I'd call an EP which would have been (if I didn't lose cavernous track) pushing about 40-50 mins for the two of them. I want to rework Abyss, that could end up on the new release though. I don't know!

LOL, at least I've been a bit more active with it lately! Now to get Mired In Twilight moving forward as well...but that's a bit of a different beast.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 02:04:54 PM »
Another track done on sunday so a couple/few more and I may send Mike Griffin a demo of it to see what he thinks for Secret Sounds release. I should really start thinking about artwork on this one too as well as a title for it....

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
Well I have 6 tracks completed with a run time of about 49 mins. I am on the fence if I want to bump it into the ~55-60 minute range. Now I have to start thinking/working on some mock-up artwork for this one. All titles in greek via english-greek translation dictionary online. Some titles may not be pronounced right (hey, I'm not greek so....  ;D ). Still debating on the title, one of the songs or something that may cover what they are about....probably a song title that would encompass most of the tracks. I'll figure it out. I don't have any samples of them online at this time, not sure if I will just yet, if so they'll be at artistserver, myspace possibly and I need to put some newer stuff up at my old soundclick account.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »
Title of the release will be Bathys. At this point I'm not going to make any announcement as you'll be hearing it soon enough here somewhere ;-)  Working out details on it. But it's coming soon! Yay!

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:34:48 PM »
Ok, announcement  ;D Bathys by Darkened Soul is being released on Hypnos Secret Sounds! I am in the process of fine-tuning a different shopping cart for my website. I found osCommerce to be a bit more than I needed and a pain in the ass w/regards to getting things working with paypal. So now I'm using a different one and it's the starter version (5 pages, 15 items max) which suits me just fine. I'll probably redo the background to make it look a bit better or change it once I find a suitable replacement for it (free of course!).

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
Darkened Soul - Bathys is now available off my website. I finally got off my duff and get an image uploaded. I replaced Dreamscapes with it since I released it for free last year.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »
All the tracks are listenable (one may be downloadable) from my artistserver.com site. So now it can be heard  in its entirety online there. I'll be adding them to my soundclick.com page probably this week as well to get broader coverage.

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 08:18:03 PM »
Hi,

I uploaded all my tracks for Dreamscapes over at www.archive.org for folks to be able to download the tracks at the least. Enjoy!

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »
Hi folks,

Long time no posts in this thread.... LOL. I will be releasing Seasons of Dark and Light over at www.earthmantra.com initially then put it over at www.archive.org after a bit once I get the zip file set up. It should include the artwork as well at both places in the archive. I checked with Gigi (seeing he released it awhile ago on his label). So you can get it for free. Donations always welcome as I will leave it listed in the store for a while more.

Seeing I just picked up Ableton Live 8 the other day I hope to get back to working on material for both projects. I need to get one track finished up for Mired In Twilight and then start on more material. Seeing I am out of work I should spend some time on music eh?!

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »
Hello,

Been lurking mainly and not doing a lot of forum perusal as I used to. Anyways, news is that Seasons of Dark and Light has been uploaded to www.archive.org including artwork. The tracks are only 128kbps or vbr (whatever archive does to them). I sent them as 320kbps over to Darrell Burgen for inclusing at www.earthmantra.com but it'll be a couple/few weeks before he has it listed as he's got some other stuff in the pipeline. I also sent him a track I had kicking around for the 100th release from earth mantra compilation he's putting together. Hopefully he'll like it, otherwise I gotta work something else up for it asap!

Anyways, that's the news and I'm sticking to it. When I get motivated at some point I'll get back to working on new DS and MIT stuff....being out of work hasn't given me much motivation for working on music lately.....  >:(

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
Hey all,

I got a new track done titled Walking Alone but need to relisten and possibly redo/tweak it some. I also started looking back into Mired In Twilight yet again as I do want to get that thing moving and get something out this year. Things are very slow due to my counterpart being busy with work and their baby. But Darkened Soul is rumbling back from its slumber again lol.

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
Wow, can't believe I haven't posted to my own thread in this long. Anyways, my website got hacked back in June and was delisted by Google (thanks a lot) and now I am trying to get it re-listed with them as I updated to the (at the time) latest version of e107 and changed the paths around and still not listed at top of google search. I know it takes time, but come on, this is ridiculous. The website is up, no new users as far as I can tell (probably due to not coming up as top search item for DS). Anyways, I am still kicking and unemployed and not too motivated at this time to work on music, ideas flowing through my brain but not translating to media yet.

I will be moving to it soon....

Mike

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 03:38:47 PM »
I have set up a page at http://darkenedsoul.bandcamp.com recently to promote the music some more and listed it for digital download (individual and all). Anyone else using this or Reverbnation?

Mike

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Sure, I use Bandcamp. A cool service, in spite of the free download limit.

I like that you can access FLAC and other lossless files.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor