Author Topic: Come closer, Philly...  (Read 3369 times)

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
Come closer, Philly...
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:54:33 AM »
I just wanted to share my pain with the board. Last year I made the trek from Boston to Philly for The Gatherings to see Steve Roach and Jeffrey Koepper. More than just the concert itself, the whole Gatherings experience--helping Chuck & Co set lights and run wires (inept as I may have been), being invited over the studio (after playing roadie and lugging gear, which was actually a blast)--just to be in that whole incredible atmosphere, among people who didn't look at me funny when I mentioned Steve Roach, was a really addictive thing for me.

So yesterday I got Chuck's postcard for the upcoming season. And I wept. Because while the whole card is good (of course!), three shows absolutely tug me toward Philly....and this boy just can't afford three treks. (Buying a house, friends...to quote the esteemed philosopher Simply Red, "Money Too Tight to Mention.") Therefore--lament with me, friends!--I shall not see the Jeffrey Koepper/Jason Sloan show in two weeks. (And this, after Sloan hooked me on his music with the live broadcast a few months back.) Lo, I shall not make a cool fall journey to see Ministry of Inside Things (who reside perpetually within my iPod!) and M. Peck and Mark Mahoney (same for them! O, Gallery of Subtle Smiles!). But I do hope that come cold November, having endured, having saved myself for them...I will indeed be there for Tim Story, Dwight Ashley, and H-J Roedelius.

But damn, it's hard to pass up those other two shows....
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
Re: Come closer, Philly...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:06:47 AM »
You want pain...
I live in Florida.
I will be in Maryland the week of June 7-13.
A week later, June 20-22, my 50th birthday weekend, NEARFEST is in Bethleham, PA.  Synergy and Peter Hammill.
ARRGH!!!!
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

Gemini Ambience

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »
That's okay, I'll attend them for you.  :)

I live about 10 minutes from Penn's campus where they do the Gatherings concerts.  :)

And just for the record, it's Bethlehem, PA.  I'm from Nazareth, PA originally...took my viola and oboe lessons in Bethlehem at Moravian college in their community music program. That's a fun little city.  hehe

Wayne Higgins

• View Profile
    • Oenyaw
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
Thanks, I feel better already.
It's like some kinda paradox drive. 
So, I'm a "Sr Member", huh?  In June it's SENIOR DISCOUNT TIME!!!
http://oenyaw.net/
http://oenyaw.blogspot.com/

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 03:30:09 PM »
You want pain...
I live in Florida.
A week later, June 20-22, my 50th birthday weekend, NEARFEST is in Bethleham, PA.  Synergy and Peter Hammill.
ARRGH!!!!
whoa! larry fast himself? cooler than cool!
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:52:57 PM »
You want pain...
I live in Florida.
ARRGH!!!!
whoa! larry fast himself? cooler than cool!

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Peter Hammill listed.   :D Man I haven't seen him live in years, I hope he's touring as their is little chance of me making it that far east for me to catch him. I might as well just go all the way to the UK and catch VDGG live instead.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell