Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises - finally a film worthy of the hype?  (Read 1688 times)

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
The Dark Knight Rises - finally a film worthy of the hype?
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
I'll just leave this here...it's Richard Corliss' (TIME magazine) review of The Dark Knight Rises. Will this be the serious-minded, adult, provocative film that Prometheus was supposed to be? Or once again will many people fall for the hype of a film that ultimately disappoints? Only time (3 days) will tell, I guess. This one I WILL be seeing as soon as possible.

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/07/16/times-review-of-the-dark-knight-rises-to-the-depths-to-the-heights/
May the odds be ever in your favor.

drone on

• View Profile
Re: The Dark Knight Rises - finally a film worthy of the hype?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
Well, the last one was hyped and I thought everything about it except for Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker (which was brilliant) was awful.  What's with this obsession/fascination with superheros, Marvel comics, and the like?  SPIDERMAN?? THE HULK?  what's next, AQUAMAN?  There are really two types of movies I have no interest in seeing unless they are something super special, and those are superhero movies and cartoons/animated films (like Toy Story, etc.)  I hope this new Batman is good, though.  I wouldn't mind seeing it (if only on DVD) if it's good. 

Hypnagogue

• Let's do music.
    • View Profile
    • Hypnagogue Reviews
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:40:11 AM »
what's next, AQUAMAN? 

This has been rumored to be in development for a couple of years. From "Entourage" joke to the big screen? Stay tuned!
Hypnagogue Reviews
one listener's opinion on new music
hypnagoguereviews.wordpress.com
Hypnagogue Podcast
hypnagoguepodcast.wordpress.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
Was the movie good?  From that review it sounds fantastic. 

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »
well I watched this recently on DVD.

I must admit I was underwhelmed and it has taken a few days for me to work out some of the reasons why.

I thought the 'dark knight' was very good - it avoided the simplistic good versus bad plot lines and I felt the tension between the two main characters was present in all the scenes, even when only one was being filmed. In some ways the Joker's line 'you complete me' captured this well.
   Although 'saving Gotham' was part of the storyline arcs, I felt it was secondary rather than primary.

'Rises' for me is a backward step to the simplistic good versus bad plot line. A baddy in 'semi bondage' costume and saving Gotham as the main focus.

I would be happy for anyone to give a miore positive response as I'd like to give the film a second chance. Did I miss something?

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:33 AM »
Hi Seren,

I thought Dark Knight was much better than the previous Batman; the pacing/editing was better, the acting better, special fx were awesome.  I didn't care for the previous one save for the scenes with The Joker (Heath Ledger).  I thought he carried that film, otherwise it was a disappointing mess.  I say give "Dark Knight" another chance!  :)

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
I really enjoyed the first two but felt a little underwhelmed by the last installment, it had odd pacing and a few plot holes.  Not bad, but not brilliant like the others.

Found this amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tE-BCwZtw