Author Topic: David Galas of Lycia  (Read 1286 times)

drone on

• View Profile
David Galas of Lycia
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
Are there any Lycia fans here?  Multi-instrumentalist (he's GREAT on the guitar!) David Galas helped shape two of Lycia's biggest Projekt albums, "The Burning Circle and Then Dust" and "Colder" in the 90's. Since 2006, he's put out three absolutely fantastic solo albums of what I'd term "hard gloom rock"--there are elements of goth and the Lycia sound, but also of harder rock bands like Type O Negative, Alice in Chains, Swans to name a few.  His lyrics are really dark and usually revolve around the decay of mankind and a tortured soul.  Think Type O Negative without the sense of humor!  Three fantastic albums so far: The Cataclysm (2006, which was on CD), The Happiest Days of My Life (2009), and The Ghosts of California (2011), the last two being self released and available as downloads or on CDR from his website.  I highly recommend these albums!  So, is anyone a fan?  Looking for fellow Galas enthusiasts like myself.   :)

Numina

• View Profile
Re: David Galas of Lycia
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »
Hey Drone On, Lycia was huge for me in the 90s. I'm pretty sure I listened to Burning Circle more than any other album. Cold is a close second. Without a doubt Galas' input on those albums made a positive difference. I only have one of his solo albums but how you describe his work is accurate. It's fantastic stuff.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:34:10 AM »
New album in October!

Jeff Sampson

• View Profile
    • ethereal atmospherica
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
Lycia only touched my listening radar superficially - definitely not enough for an informed opinion. The only solo Galas I've heard is The Cataclysm, which I own and like. I hadn't considered there to be a Swans comparison, but I can understand that now. I do like the overall not-quite-trudging sludge to it.
"ethereal atmospherica"
http://www.jeffsampsonmusic.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
Sorry, I misspoke above.  The album to be completed in October, released I am guessing by year's end. 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
In related listening, check out METHADRONE.  Described as "doom drone metal," it is close to David Galas solo and to Lycia in general--echoey space guitars, whispers vox, melancholy moods.  In 2008 Galas guested on Methadrone's CD, doing vocals on a couple tracks.  In 2009, Methadrone's "Better Living Through Chemistry" featured Tara VanFlower of Lycia.  I have this latter disc on order.  The sound samples I heard were incredible.  Try to give my review soon.