Author Topic: Drone On's review of "Invisible Sunrise" CD by Seahawks  (Read 701 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Drone On's review of "Invisible Sunrise" CD by Seahawks
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
Like the Tycho "Dive" CD (see review), I bought "Invisible Sunrise" by Seahawks (released 2011 by Ocean Moon, UK) purely on a whim, going by the intriguing cover art and the sticker on front proclaiming: "Like the KLF Chill Out LP written by astronauts."  Like the Tycho, I was more than pleasantly surprised and consider this a "major find."  Seahawks is a duo from the UK consisting of Pete Fowler and Jon Tye.  In the past couple years they've released a couple LP's, a 7", and two CD's, this being their second CD (limited to 1,000 copies, with some initial copies also including a bonus remix CD).  The CD comes in an attractive jewel-box case that snaps closed, with a single sheet insert.   

This album is very "retro" 1990's electronica, and I mean that in the best way possible.  First and foremost, the material is very well composed, melodic music, not just soundscapes or drones, with styles ranging from lounge to jazz.  But don't let that scare you--it's all filtered through the most heavenly electronic processing and is incredibly spacious.  This is ambient of the trippy, positive variety--nothing heavy or "dark ambient" here.  Remember when ambient was "fun"?  This is it!! But also, don't misunderstand, it's not fluff in the least.  The tracks grab your interest and suck you into their magic.  The mental images I get when listening to this are of astronauts going on a fun spacewalk or bopping around on the moon gleefully and care-free.

Who is producing music like this anymore?  Not many, and I wish there were more.  For a wonderfully nostalgic journey back to 1994 and an enchanting escape from the daily grind, I highly recommend Seahawks' "Invisible Sunrise."           

drone on

• View Profile
Re: Drone On's review of "Invisible Sunrise" CD by Seahawks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »
Also check out their LP "Tender Abyss" (now on iTunes), which is even more ambient, darker, and floating.  Great stuff!! (the whole album's on youtube, too, if interested)