Author Topic: New Beck 'album' - alternative format  (Read 1025 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
New Beck 'album' - alternative format
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:46:26 AM »

I know this isn't directly relevant to the world of ambient, but interesting nonetheless, in terms of an artist endeavouring to release their work in a different format. I'm quite a fan of Beck and it's cool to see his imagination at work and the enduring legacy of 'sheet music' even today.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/youll-need-something-to-play-the-new-beck-album-on-and-a-stereo-wont-do-the-trick-8027276.html

ffcal

• View Profile
Re: New Beck 'album' - alternative format
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »
That's a very quirky idea.  It might have been even more interesting if had come out with music box versions of each of his new pieces.:)

Forrest

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:01:47 AM »
Or a transcript of an interview where he talks about the songs ? :)

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:06:33 AM »
I think it would be incredibly comical if some ambient artists actually released the sheet music along with their CDs. Some would have a total of maybe ten notes or less, and then there's the problem of finding the right timbres to go with them. I don't think there's any notation for loop.  ;D
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 04:53:16 AM »
I think it may be rather interesting:

An example (?):

'Purple section' - with feeling ! / quiet section (again) / atonal miasma / frogs / lovecraftian nuance / more quiet / space-flutes / frog delay-cloud / etc. etc. etc...

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »
Perhaps for ambient music you'd have one staff at the top of the page with the notes to be played (or sequenced) and underneath the rest of the page would be reserved for notes on synth and effects tweekings. Then after a few of these pages you could have an actual page full of staffs for actual conventional instument playing over the loops you've created a la Robert Rich with a flute.

I've watched a few Aidan Baker vids on YouTube and I keep expecting him to actually play his guitar but instead he keeps coaxing a variety of horrendous inharmonics noises to be looped, and my favorite part is when he puts the guitar down, then goes over to either the effects or laptop to make the loops even more horrendous. Then when its over he gets thunderous applause.  8)
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.