Author Topic: Kate Bush is cool  (Read 1054 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Kate Bush is cool
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
I always liked Kate Bush.  Thanks to YouTube I've been watching a lot of interviews and documentaries from the late 70s, early 80s.  What a lovely woman and fascinating person.  A true musical genius! 

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Kate Bush is cool
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:14:32 PM »
Her latest album "50 Words for Snow" is pretty good too.  :)
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
What a coincidence, I just bought this 2 days ago!  I had been wary judging by the reviews.  My impressions: somewhere between masterpiece and self-indulgent twaddle. I haven't yet decided.  ;D

Antdude

• Punch and Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »
What a coincidence, I just bought this 2 days ago!  I had been wary judging by the reviews.  My impressions: somewhere between masterpiece and self-indulgent twaddle. I haven't yet decided.  ;D

Kate has that effect on people. Her work has always been polarizing, with half the audience either loving her eccentricities or completely turned off by the fey, precious style she has. Every album usually takes a few listens before you make up your mind about it. I've been listening to her since '81 and no two albums ever hit me the same way. I was bowled over by 'The Dreaming' but hated 'The Red Shoes' when other fans thought it was her best work. Go figure.

Either way, everything she does is worth hearing since each record's a go-for-broke affair.

Time to listen to 'The Sensual World.'
I was just in my office and I heard a ruckus.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »
Thumbs up on Sensual World especially The Fog. Love that piece.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »
I was bowled over by 'The Dreaming' but hated 'The Red Shoes' when other fans thought it was her best work. Go figure.

Either way, everything she does is worth hearing since each record's a go-for-broke affair.

Time to listen to 'The Sensual World.'

I felt the same way about those two albums, and "The Sensual World" is the other classic of hers if you ask me. The new one is pretty good so far, but I need to listen to it some more before deciding where it fits.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »
I've been playing Kate Bush all week thanks to this thread.  It's been a treat to sort of re-discover her music.  A nice reminder of why I've loved her music for so long.  My favorite is probably The Dreaming.  Her two most recent albums, Aerial & 50 Words for Snow are both excellent.