HYPNOS RECORDINGS > Hypnos Label Releases

MP3 Downloads of Hypnos albums - Who gets paid?

<< < (2/2)

jkn:
Regarding AntDude's question on how much does the artist get... it's a really hard one to answer!  Every service has to make some bit of money so there's always some type of 'cut' out of the sale to the service(s) involved whether it's an upfront setup fee, a % of sales, a yearly service usage fee, etc...    There may also be cuts to labels and the artist may have also paid for mastering/engineering help or for artwork.

Money back can range from say 90% of a sale down to virtually nothing if we're talking cloud radio like Spotify (estimates are something like .0001 per play or something...   I just got a bunch of penny payments from Spotify so someone is listening more than once to get all the way up to "penny" status!) 

It's never been easier or harder to release music.   The landscape of music shifted and it's easier for an indie artist to release something from their bedroom - but it didn't get all that much easier to get successful despite a few fluke myspace / youtube sensations...   

saulstokes:
Hi Antdude,

I actually manage my digital distribution myself. So, I will probably see a few coins come my way from your purchase so thank you. I've noticed that online sales have significantly dropped in the last year. I think more people are just streaming through Pandora and downloading less.

I'm actually in the process of removing my music from online stores as it's costing too much to maintain. I pay about $50 per album per year and most bring in little more than this. It's just a bad deal unless you're selling a lot of music. As a replacement to this, I have started building a band camp site that I will focus all my efforts on. This will be where all my new music is released. Band camp has the ability to socially activate your music unlike any other site I have seen. In a way, you set it free and allow each album to spread to those who want it.

While on this subject,  It's with great pleasure to announce that Zo Pilots is now on Band Camp with a very special surprise! Fissure Docks, An unreleased track originally intended to be on Zo Pilots, turns up on a DAT tape! I pulled this song at the last minute and replaced it with some live material. I always wanted to make it available and thought this would be a good time to this.

copied straight from DAT with no modern processing.

Listen or download here:

http://saulstokes.bandcamp.com/album/zo-pilots

judd stephens:
That is awesome, Saul.  Thank you and best wishes on this.

--- Quote from: saulstokes on November 23, 2012, 06:22:42 PM ---Hi Antdude,

I actually manage my digital distribution myself. So, I will probably see a few coins come my way from your purchase so thank you. I've noticed that online sales have significantly dropped in the last year. I think more people are just streaming through Pandora and downloading less.

I'm actually in the process of removing my music from online stores as it's costing too much to maintain. I pay about $50 per album per year and most bring in little more than this. It's just a bad deal unless you're selling a lot of music. As a replacement to this, I have started building a band camp site that I will focus all my efforts on. This will be where all my new music is released. Band camp has the ability to socially activate your music unlike any other site I have seen. In a way, you set it free and allow each album to spread to those who want it.

While on this subject,  It's with great pleasure to announce that Zo Pilots is now on Band Camp with a very special surprise! Fissure Docks, An unreleased track originally intended to be on Zo Pilots, turns up on a DAT tape! I pulled this song at the last minute and replaced it with some live material. I always wanted to make it available and thought this would be a good time to this.

copied straight from DAT with no modern processing.

Listen or download here:

http://saulstokes.bandcamp.com/album/zo-pilots

--- End quote ---

Julio Di Benedetto:
Excellent Saul......the site looks and sounds great.  I have most of your cd's but I look forward to having the option to download cd quality future releases!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version