Author Topic: CDbaby vs TuneCore?  (Read 13195 times)

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
Re: CDbaby vs TuneCore?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »
My 2 cents on cdbaby and and the distribution clearing houses:

Rather than keep feeding the iTunes (etc) of the world. I think its great to have a place for downloads like Bandcamp, It's well organized, very functional, and has good rates (last I looked). No setup costs. And it's a personal site ... for the artist or for a label. You can edit it. It's a home base. You can link to a blog from it, and so on.

People naturally think they must have exposure, so they go for getting their music up on loads of sites ... which does not equate with exposure, just possible availability. And you don't necessarily need it available in lots of places. One will do.  Exposure is more about people liking your music and spreading the word, which they can only do of course if you promote yourself to begin with, and you might as well promote your single Bandcamp site as a central place for people to checkout your music, buy it, get news, and to come back to.

But maybe I'm just crazy.   8)

www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Stellardrone

• View Profile
    • Stellardrone's official website
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 03:36:20 AM »
jkn, thanks for interesting article. But the font... I had to enhance it 4 times to be able to read the text....lol.

APK, I agree with you. Still, iTunes have a huge percentage of the market so it's rational to use their stores. Bandcamp is great, but it's not an aggregator and all your success depends on your own promotion. What I like about BC is that they pay you instantly. There are no fees, waiting periods, nothing, just 15% commission. But personally I wanted something new (like a child, haha) and try to risk and get into iTunes. Will see how it goes. If no success, I will keep only bandcamp, probably.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
My 2 cents on cdbaby and and the distribution clearing houses:

Rather than keep feeding the iTunes (etc) of the world. I think its great to have a place for downloads like Bandcamp, It's well organized, very functional, and has good rates (last I looked). No setup costs. And it's a personal site ... for the artist or for a label. You can edit it. It's a home base. You can link to a blog from it, and so on.

People naturally think they must have exposure, so they go for getting their music up on loads of sites ... which does not equate with exposure, just possible availability. And you don't necessarily need it available in lots of places. One will do.  Exposure is more about people liking your music and spreading the word, which they can only do of course if you promote yourself to begin with, and you might as well promote your single Bandcamp site as a central place for people to checkout your music, buy it, get news, and to come back to.

But maybe I'm just crazy.   8)

Totally agree on that!

Have to add, that finally people have to find an artist on I-tunes. This point sound silly first but you need to have at least a fan base which search for you in those places, otherwise it is only based on "i want to be anywhere" reasons.

I believe a personal website with good service is more important than just listed in a pool of millions of titles. On the other hand, we all know that "hyped" places are very much attractive (almost an "addiction"), no matter if they are useful in a specific matter  ;)

Cheers,
Tomas

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 07:03:53 AM »
Interesting points APK and El culto, I buy very little music online but I would imagine most listeners would gravitate towards the big distributors - I could be wrong (?), so why limit the places that your material is available on ?

APK, I agree with you about Bandcamp's coolness in itself, I'm not sure about how it deals with ambient music though. I did a search on music tagged as 'ambient' and I have to say I didn't recognise many artists - saying that I'm hardly on the sharp end of whats out there !

There's also the feeling with these sites as to how long they might be around for. I've seen a a fair few fold, including ambient music based sites such as ambient.us and Shopsonic.

lakwaun

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
question I have paid for a single on CDBaby but never listed it and I bought a bar code. can I use that one barOde deover and over again for different albums?

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 04:22:32 PM »
question I have paid for a single on CDBaby but never listed it and I bought a bar code. can I use that one barOde deover and over again for different albums?

No, you canīt...itīs only for this specific item.

David G

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 12:41:01 AM »

Here comes our little self promotion. www.IndiGoBoom.com  charges between 49 and 59 dollars per year for ALL your releases, gives you free product codes and has an absolutely massive list of stores and streaming services.

We think a lot of the competition has a tendency to hide the actual cost of their distribution. for example if you use tunecore you pay per album per single per year. So after a few years of releasing records you have a massive annual bill to keep paying. Other distributors charge per release, per store, per year??? Whats that about ?? Same problem with huge and growing annual bill occurs. The invoice grows from year to year.

In our humble opinion (and we have been doing this since the birth of digital distribution) the only way to make a living from music is to build and maintain a catalog over time. Once you are on some Spotify playlist you need to guard that. Taking down the song is like removing a link to you. Also make sure to register your artist profile on allmusic.com since that is where Spotify picks up their artist data.
Mosey over to us and get in touch with our live chat.
L8ter
David G
www.IndiGoBoom.com