Author Topic: My review of "Earthlight" CD by David Parsons  (Read 690 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Earthlight" CD by David Parsons
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »

David Parsons "Earthlight" CD

The veteran wizard of breathtaking sonic documents, New Zealander David Parsons, has returned at the end of 2008 with album entitled "Earthlight", on his usual imprint via Celestial Harmonies label. Since I was always deeply fascinated by David's highly picturesque sonics, "Earthlight" fastly became one of his landmark recordings on my home playlist. Usually strongly connected to Middle and Far East regions, through which he travelled extensively for several years, but "Earthlight" was a rather exceptional release, because it transports immediately each listener to the orbit to explore grandiose views of Mother Earth. Equipped with finest skills in creating own, distinctive sounds, David is able to create fully unique, deeply imaginative soundscapes holding his own signature, and no matter if exotically fragranced or more celestially focused. "Earthlight" is without a doubt the best example!!! The album's odyssey is ignited by the title track, "Earthlight", featuring deeply immersing cloudscapes precisely compounded with many sharply errupting percussive sounds and gently tinkling rhythm fractals, few cybernetic voices join as well to capture a truly fascinating effect!!! "Altai Himalaya" is invaded by dreamy, icy dronescapes, gracefully soaring, wind humming above snow-capped peaks and ridges of these spectacular mountain ranges. Assorted distant, submerged rumblings can be heard throughout this deeply scenic and mesmerizing composition. "Beyond The Light" blends cascading tribal rhythm parts with exotically spiced atmospheres, recalling David's expeditions through Central Asia. "Corona" glides tranquilly, with smoothly elevating intensity and ominousness before it reaches gorgeously uplifting and colorful palette of melodic sequences. Amazingly illuminating and infectious piece!!! "The Winged Ones" unwraps with abysally droning dense atmosphere, flowing through the entire piece and capturing the true power and majesty of Earth's views. "Bathing Light", a 20-minute closer, serenely floates across many fascinating spaces, attractively enriched by various gentle buzzes and disruptions, yet still strongly holding its deeply celestial and relaxing texture. In the second half some warmly inviting and alluring melodies enter the piece and navigate it into absolute sonic bliss!!! "Earthlight" is amazingly visualizing music, while exploring it, you will be invited to journey through stunningly beautiful places on the Earth like winter wonderlands, desert vastness, immense greenlands, barren and mountainous territories, amazing waterways and deltas, ocean glistening in the sun... A thrilling experience not to be missed!!!

Richard Gürtler (Apr 11, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)