Author Topic: Dredd film  (Read 849 times)

jdh

• View Profile
Dredd film
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
Saw this tonight. Normally I am not into comic book adaptions that are made for teenagers or geeks.
I did not know the UK comic or have seen the Stallone version.
It was great. Dark and it stays dark right to the end,amazing 3D shots which were there more as atmosphere than blantant effects,especially during the Slo Mo drug induced parts.
Music was well sequenced,some of it based on early 80s industrial electronic music.
Incredibly violent. Not in a PG way,in an R way.If you want to see what someone's head looks like smashed to bits while directly looking at it,this is the one. More artistic violence if such a thing can exist.
You cannot take it seriously but our world as it is,we are not far off.
9/10.

Matthew Florianz

• View Profile
Re: Dredd film
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:13:50 AM »
Generally impressed by it too.

Though it starts off with those fancy slow motion effects, fast cuts and music, I was afraid it would be another style over content film (which in reality it sort of is) but it did it in a way that was highly entertaining.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:16:52 AM »
Same thoughts. I was expecting a mediocre film, and was pleasantly surprised. It's nothing like the 1995 film (is it really that old?  :o ), which is a much sillier affair.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

9dragons

• The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
    • View Profile
    • The Viatorium Press - Dedicated to the Weird
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 12:02:22 AM »
This Dredd is a favorite of mine. It is enjoyable after many watches. The humor is so dry you can taste it. Karl Urban nails it. It also nails the absolute comic book feel, with saturated colors and over-the-top destruction. The R rating was very much appreciated.

The soundtrack is absolutely stellar. Mixes crunch and ambient so well. Can be enjoyed greatly on its own; seems like the album version was designed for hermetic listening enjoyment. By Paul Leonard-Morgan. Whatever movie he does next, I'd go see it just on the strength of his name...

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »
I love the newest Dredd too.

We need to keep talking this up. It's a good one!

Also, I need to watch it again. Both Lena and I really loved it. Karl Urban is boss.

Also, good to see you back here, 9dragons!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

lansuminc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Hopefully there will be a sequence to it.
I'm not lazy, I'm just very relaxed.