Author Topic: My review of "Nocturnal Winter" CDr by Stormloop  (Read 901 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Nocturnal Winter" CDr by Stormloop
« on: September 23, 2012, 08:06:50 AM »

Stormloop "Nocturnal Winter" CDr

I was immediately hooked since the very first moments when Kevin Spence aka Stormloop has presented his newest album on his Bandcamp site, packaged in handmade CD wallet and limited to 30 pieces only. And when the album arrived, the reality was even more impressive, because "Nocturnal Winter" CDr looks very elegant and attractive, a true collector's item I must say!!! Really nice work, Kev, we all know the sale numbers are dropping these days, so you have my deep respect for all the efforts put into this project!!! Visually stunning, so let's explore the sonic part of this work. "Nocturnal Winter" unfolds straightly with massive and slowly expanding dronescape entitled "Hibernation Mode", quietly drifting across nocturnal natural landforms. These nightscapes are gorgeously illuminating and spectacularly magical. Nocturnal stillness at its most captivating!!! The ride through shadowy skies continues, "Nocturnal" is painted with resonating washes and delicately enhanced by richly organic colors. "Monotonus Trek" starts with abyssal drones, but soon smoothly cascades into more textured, monotonously circling passage with ethereal voice-like flavors, yet deeply immersing. Colossal drone territories are explored on "Midwinter", again enriched by ghostly distant voice fragrances. Deeply absorbing ride goes on, another high point here!!! The next composition, "Nano Structure", traverses into beautifully sad and cinematic realms, masterfully backed by assorted cyber-tech fragments. Sonic bliss continues!!! "Snow Flurries", as its title suggests, returns into more active, spiralling soundscaping while the following piece, "Shiver" enters into rather stranger sound sculpting, supported by hidden whispers here and there. Celestially magnificent composition!!! And it overlaps also into "Epoch Five", the longest piece on "Nocturnal Winter", clocking to 12 and half minutes. It graciously floates into immense spaces, strengthened by heavenly chorals and high-tech bleeps and outbursts. Absolutely fascinating and mesmerizing odyssey!!! Freezing and heavy dronescapes invade "The Shortest Day" and straightaway evoke cold and windy, remote and massive, but enormously seductive arctic landscapes that have been rarely explored. These solitary sceneries are absolutely breathtaking!!! "One Winter Morning" absorbs deeply each listener with its gracefully ethereal, tranquil and heartwarming washes and brings this album not only to its conclusion, but also to the state of wondrous reverie. "Nocturnal Winter" masterfully captures all the essences of splendorous winter territories, filled with almost otherworldly, but warmly inviting stark beauty and awe inspiring isolation. Most likely the best album made by Stormloop so far, a true masterpiece!!! By the time I am writing these lines, still few copies are available, so act quickly, otherwise you will miss this beauty!!! And by the way, according to its creator, there are plans for more Stormloop albums to be released with this type of packaging, so I definitely stay tuned for more news by this, in Leeds, UK, based artist.

Richard Gürtler (Sep 23, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)