Author Topic: 'Einstein On The Beach' revival  (Read 1113 times)

ffcal

• View Profile
'Einstein On The Beach' revival
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:43 AM »
This may be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm very amped about the latest revival of Philip Glass/Robert Wilson's Einstein On The Beach, which was last performed about 20 years ago.  They will be coming to Berkeley towards the end of this month. Here is a link to an informal performance of several numbers from the production by Glass' ensemble (the 3rd piece at the around the 30 minutes mark is pretty amazing):

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/articles/q2-live-concerts/2012/aug/21/watch-philip-glass-hour-einstein/

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
Re: 'Einstein On The Beach' revival
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 04:31:58 AM »
This was the last piece of vinyl I purchase, if my memory serves right.....mid 1980's. Robert Wilson had a show at MoMA, in NYC which is what stirred my interest.  Always look for Glass works and especial enjoy those surprise movie scores he does.  Happy to see the fire is still alive.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »
This was the last piece of vinyl I purchase, if my memory serves right.....mid 1980's. Robert Wilson had a show at MoMA, in NYC which is what stirred my interest.  Always look for Glass works and especial enjoy those surprise movie scores he does.  Happy to see the fire is still alive.

Should be a very interesting show.  I was recently watching a documentary on Glass (Glass: A Portrait in Twelve Parts), and he appears to be a very complex person.

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:04 AM »
I can imagine he is complex......will check out the documentary.  I did see a while back a piece on how demanding it was for his orchestra to play Einstein on the Beach.  The woodwind section had to play their instruments using the inhale breath to play notes as well as the exhale so that the music was one continues stream without pause.

This is the one Chuck Close portrait that always comes to mind when I think of his artwork

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:32:45 PM »
Finally went to see the Einstein production yesterday.  It more than exceeded my expectations--this one would definitely make my short list of favorite performances/concerts.  I can't believe how lucky I was to have seen the last American performance of this particular revival of 'Einstein.'  It's very hard to explain how intense and immersive the 4-1/2 hour performance was.  I've known Glass' music from 'Einstein' since it was released in the late 70s, but seeing and experiencing it live with the theatrical and dance-related components was much meaningful and satisfying.  At its the core, it's a very emotional and visually/musically beautiful piece that throws you off-balance from the beginning and keeps you there, in seemingly suspended time, swimming among parameciums, electrons and abstract mathematical shapes.  Each visual element (from the massive sets, to the "actors," the choir, the two main speakers, and Lucinda Child's kinetic dancers), coupled with Glass' finely-tuned ensemble, seemed to trigger subconscious associations that could be keenly felt but not adequately described.

I highly recommend this if it ever comes around again.  I thought Robert Wilson's contributions were particularly striking and memorable.

Here is an interesting blog review from a NY musician who knows one of the choir members:

http://briancarpenter.net/content/2012/09/einstein-on-the-beach.html

Forrest

BTW, Julio, Glass and Close are long-time friends.  The "Portrait" film includes a visit by Glass to Close's studio.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
Damn! After reading your thoughts (and Brian's) I have big regrets for missing the piece when it played Toronto. It was an inopportune time but I should have made time.

Decades ago I bought North Star after reading a positive review in Rolling Stone but was turned off by all the reedy timbres. Years later I attended a live performance of Koyaanisqatsi with the film and was enthralled. Realizing the music (and more varied timbres) were superior in theatrical performances, I enjoyed 1000 Airplanes on the Roof and some others but then stopped following. Einstein sounds like it would have been a great experience for me. I guess I can't just say "next time" either unless they begin to tour this like The Wall.  :(

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »
I caught a live performance of Koyaanisqatsi in the 80s and thought it was great.  There's been a lot of Glass-related activity this year, based on this being his 75th year.  They're actually bringing back the live Koyaanisqatsi with the Philip Glass ensemble this coming May in San Francisco.  I've already snagged my tickets.  :)

Forrest