Author Topic: New Suchness Release from Gears of Sand  (Read 4482 times)

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
New Suchness Release from Gears of Sand
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
First, a little bit about the series:

Our intention with this series is to capture atmospheric works in as pure to a live improvisation as possible.  Given the fleeting beauty that is often lost in the studio, we wanted to find artists who somehow were able to preserve an improvisatory gem they managed to capture on record.

These releases are strictly limited to 100 copies and done up in some spectacular packaging by Matt Borghi of Slobor Media and the Hand Work Press.  Each release is housed in a beautiful japanese style chipboard arigato packs and cloth disc sleeves w/ genuine letter pressed images and text and full color, glossy insert.

Our first release by Aidan Baker sold out very quickly (not particularly surprising given Aidan's growing popularity).

Our second Suchness release is a special re-issue from a group that Hypnos forumites will be less familiar with Northern Valentine.  Recorded primarily in an abandoned sanitarium this collection of melodic ambient fragments is special in its weaving of so many subgenres: Description is somewhat futile. Husband and wife team Amy and Bob Brown make it clear: They are serious listeners of many atmospheric musics. Years of dedicated listening, constant touring, and fearless experimentation has made for a truly unique sonic diary of ghosts; a spiritual paeon of many emotions to the dwellers of the lost sanitarium.  The drones bring to mind many ambient artists the melodics point more towards Windy and Carl and some of the earlier shoegazey works that appeared on Kranky and 4AD

Purchase and Sound Samples

http://cdbaby.com/cd/northernvalentine

Another long delayed Suchness release by Seconds in Formaldehyde will be issued in early May and possibly by the end of this month.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 03:04:41 PM by Ben Fleury-Steiner »

Scott Raymond

• View Profile
Re: New Suchness Release from Gears of Sand
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:18:39 PM »
  I got to see Northern Valentine live last Sunday in Poughkeepsie. It was very serendipitous as I had just received my copy of the GOS release on Friday from CD Baby and was reading concert listings and saw the name pop up. They played at a local coffeehouse. Amy didn't make it, though there were two other group members, one of whom was a Vassar alum and ex-WVKR DJ. Their set was a bit noisier than expected, though still really good and had some interesting drony ambient passages. I picked up a couple of their other CD's and am listening to one now ( The Unblinking Eye; good post-rock guitar drone ambient). And the GOS release is great, too. Experimental ambient, for people who like something a bit different than normal.

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM

Scott Raymond
WVKR-FM
16 Penn St.
Fishkill, NY 12524
newage@secretmusic.net

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
Re: New Suchness Release from Gears of Sand
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:31:12 AM »
that's very cool, scott...And I'm glad you enjoy the music as it's a bit more rock than a lot of ambient folks seem to dig...Amy teaches full time, so doing the all night road trips is a lot tougher for her...