Author Topic: My review of "Sense" CDr by Radiant Mind  (Read 600 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Sense" CDr by Radiant Mind
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:44:59 AM »

Radiant Mind "Sense" CDr

Radiant Mind is a brand new name on the growing roster of sympathetic and supportive US label Periphery, run by highly acclaimed Darren Bergstein and released during July 2012. My eyebrows were raised immediately after announcing this release and of course I couldn't miss the fact that Steve Roach is handling production, final arrangements and mastering job. Enough said!!! The sole protagonist behind Radiant Mind is Robert Englis. Even if "Sense" marks his first release, according to Steve Roach's website, he was creating electronic music for many years, but without any public exposure. As usual for all later Periphery releases, "Sense" album comes in limited edition of 50 copies, packaged in round tin with window, displaying the print on CDr. The intro, entitled "Inner Dimension" , is provided by rather deeper primordial and eerie drones, which after 3 minutes smoothy dives into brightly illuminating cyber groove escapade enriched here and there by razor sharp outbursts. Wow, this is a deeply mesmerizing cyber-electro-organic adventure and awesome introduction of Radiant Mind. After the first 8-plus minutes of "Sense" I can only confirm that it's a pity Robert Englis wanted remain unrecognized with his previous projects. However, it's much better late than never, right? The first part of three title pieces, "Sense One", kicks my ears immediately with highly kinetic locomotor electro-rhythms, backed by celestial drifts and cascading through various passages, ranging from briskly electrifying to more serenely pulsing and amorphously transporting. "Sanctuary In Light" unveils directly with dreamy and heartwarming washes, carefully flavored by assorted fragile tinkles, and paints purely tranquil and expansive images with ethereal choir-type sound graciously hovering above. This sonic warmth overlaps to the next composition, "Sense Two", which blends mid-tempo sequences with spacemusic washes, all delicately sweeping and flowing into hauntingly evocative vast open panoramas. "Sense Three" keeps on the celestial route, again attractively fragranced with swirling radiance with pleasantly hymnic and stargazing soundscapes and heavenly choirs. "Reaching The Beyond" strikes right away with its elegantly futuristic and shimmering heartbeats, which are magnificently interacting with gently gliding spacy washes. Moving from vibrant to serenely drifting passages, but always rich in depth and spaciousness. Purely synthetic, trance-like ecstasy is guaranteed!!! "Radiant Mind" is the closing and longest piece on "Sense", clocking to nearly 23 minutes. It explores slowly expansive sublime, almost cinematic realms, which are in some phases supported by pristine, but vaguely tribal electro pulses, dizzily orbiting around listener's ears. The second half flows rather peacefully, here and there enriched by few more noisier dissonances, before fading away into eternal silence. A truly intriguing cyber kaleidoscaping finale!!! "Sense" is a very strong release by Radiant Mind and even if it doesn't break any grounds like "Blood Machine" for example, I will make sure to keep my eyes and ears on this project. The person of Robert Englis still remains a mystery to me, so the more I am looking forward to his future sonic adventures. And big thanks to Darren Bergstein of Periphery for bringing Radiant Mind to light!!! And by the way, when checking now "Sense" CDr on Periphery, I see the physical copies are sold out already, but few copies might be still available from Steve Roach's webstore.

Richard Gürtler (Oct 28, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)