Author Topic: Drone On's review of "Tiefschlaf" CD by Sphare Sechs  (Read 1079 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Drone On's review of "Tiefschlaf" CD by Sphare Sechs
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:44:10 PM »
U.S. label Malignant has released another stunning ambient album, the most notable since False Mirror's epic "Derelict World" from a couple years back.  Sphare Sechs is a German duo consisting of Martin Sturtzer, better known as Phelios (with a previous release on Malignant), and Christian Stritzel.  Recorded live during a "sleep concert" at the Phobos Festival in Germany in September 2011 (how I'd love to go to one of these!), "Tiefschlaf" joins the ranks among the finest deep space ambient ("spacebient"?) this reviewer has had the pleasure of experiencing since past milestones like Namlook/Inoue's "Shades of Orion 2" (1995), Roach's "Magnificent Void" (1996), and Oophoi/Tau Ceti's "Celestial Geometries" (2000).  This is no cold dark ambient affair with rumbling and clanking metal, but instead a serene, expansive, fully immersive set of warm, highly atmospheric drift that takes you on a cosmic journey for 55 minutes.  Really one long track broken into six sections, the album manages to set itself high above the usual trappings of space music with very high quality synth sounds that are original and gently visceral, demanding your attention every second of this sublime journey.  As with "Derelict World," I think those wary of the dark ambient genre will be more than pleasantly surprised by the depth and meditational quality of this recording.  The album is released in a 6-panel digisleeve with some really gorgeous cover art, fitting the music perfectly, and limited to just 500 copies.  I try to avoid using ejaculatory adjectives like "amazing" in my reviews, but this disc is deserving of such praise.  I would say if you buy only two discs in the deep space ambient/spacebient subgenre this year, you can't go wrong with Phobos' recent "Live on Earth" and this one.  I cannot recommend "Tiefschlaf" highly enough.  Great work Martin and Christian!!!

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
Re: Drone On's review of "Tiefschlaf" CD by Sphare Sechs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:19:44 AM »
This finally arrived yesterday, and I gave it a listen last night. Makes me wish I had been there, superb stuff and perfect for headphone listening in a dark space!
Your review sums it up perfectly, oh and thanks for the heads up.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
I knew the Phobos man would dig it.  8)

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
Saw Martin and his Sphäre Sechs mates last Saturday (3rd November, that is) playing live at Phobos Festival (no pun!) in Wuppertal. Quite nice. I wish I could have fallen asleep to it :).

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
Thanks Drone On, for the heads up on this.  This is available in download form in at least a couple places.  I've listened to it just half way before falling asleep last night but it's one of those deep space gems with an original sound.